Jonathan Atkin ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Jonathan Atkin—Jonny, as he’s known around QU—is a 21-year-old junior.  He is majoring in Economics and History and, as many of you may know, he has just been elected as Student Body President.  I got to chat with our new and ambitious president about his time at Quinnipiac and his future plans for the student body.

What made you want to run for Student Body President?

I’ve been on SGA since my freshmen year, and every year I’ve become more devoted to this organization.  This last year I served as the Student Body Vice President and throughout this time SGA has begun to work on some large-scale, long-term projects that we want to see through.  In the Student Body President position, I have the ability to allocate all of our resources towards completing these projects.

What do you hope to accomplish as Student Body President?

My main goal is very general: to ensure that SGA succeeds in its mission to advocate on behalf of the student body in whatever capacity that may be.  This upcoming year will be unique since SGA has recently developed a new executive board position and committee to focus on the experience of students, using data-collection methods to put numerical measures on what things students are satisfied or dissatisfied with and to what extent.  I want to grow this position to increase SGA’s interaction with the student body.

How does it feel to be elected Student Body President?

I’m extremely excited for this upcoming year.  I’m well aware that there will be some challenging times within this position, but having been so close to those situations this year, I feel prepared to deal with whatever comes our way.  Ultimately, I’m just very grateful to be in this role and eager to serve the student body.

What is your favorite thing about Quinnipiac?

I could probably name hundreds of things that make me love this university, but the number one thing is the people.  From the students to the professors to the administration and staff, I have met some of the most inspiring and intelligent people that I’ve ever encountered in my life.  So many people within this community have affected my life in a positive way that I can’t imagine where I’d be or who I’d be without Quinnipiac.

What can you be found doing on a regular weekend at Quinnipiac?

I certainly dabble; I try to make each weekend as unique as possible.  Like most college students, I dedicate most weekends to spending time with friends or catching up on sleep, but I’m definitely no stranger to the typical Quinnipiac nightlife.

What are some fun facts about yourself?

• I grew up on the north shore of Boston and have immense pride for the city and any sports teams affiliated with it.  Like most Boston sports fans, I consider myself a disciple of Tom Brady.
  • I’ve switched my major/minor about four times and most recently picked up Economics as a major this year.
  • My brother graduated from Quinnipiac last year.  Before my freshmen year, I visited my brother here more than 10 times, usually staying for an entire weekend.  When it came time to apply to college, I knew exactly what I wanted— an early decision application to Quinnipiac.
  • When I was a little kid, I actually thought that I was Superman.  I once put on a cape [and] climbed out of a window onto to the third-floor roof of my house to watch over my neighborhood.  My neighbor spotted me and called my mother.  I managed to get back inside before the fire trucks came.  That story is actually the inspiration for my campaign poster.

What other clubs and organizations are you involved with on campus?  What other positions do you hold?

Outside of SGA, I’m a brother of Sigma Phi Epsilon.  I was also on the QU Mock Trial team for 2 years.

What is your favorite club or organization and why?

There are a lot of great organizations on this campus.  One of the organizations that I have become pretty close with is the Student Veterans Organization.  This organization is very active on campus and is made up of an awesome group of people.

What is your advice to incoming freshman at Quinnipiac?

It may sound generic, but it’s true: take advantage of any opportunity that you can during your time here because it’s these unique opportunities that lead to personal growth and new experiences.  Also, if you pass by somebody that you’ve met before—even if you don’t remember that person’s name—say hello; that’s just the type of community we have here.

Congratulations to Jonny on his newly appointed position!  We know you’ll make Quinnipiac a better place.

Hi, I'm Savanna! I'm a junior at Quinnipiac University. I am working towards major is Graphic Design with a minor in Journalism. I have always loved to create, read and write and and am looking forward to implementing all those things in HerCampus!
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!