Jillian Pfeifer ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

I sat down with Jilian Pfiefer, our latest campus celebrity and a junior at Quinnipiac.  Jillian is a Legal Studies major and the president of GLASS (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Supporters).  She is from Merrimack, New Hampshire.  Read on to see how Jilian is making her mark at Quinnipiac:

1.  What inspired you to become involved with GLASS?The month before I came to college, a close family member of mine came out to our family.  Although I was always supportive of the LGBTQ cause, this brought it closer to home.  Hearing some of the struggles that this family member endured, living a life that was not true to himself, made me want to be that support system for people here at Quinnipiac who might not have the support system necessary to make the decision to come out at home.

2. How are you able to balance being president of GLASS with schoolwork and social life?

I’m a legal studies major as well as the president of GLASS.  School work always comes first, but using your free time wisely is key.  If I have some time in between classes I’ll check my email (which is buzzing all the time now), make sure our Do You QU is in order, or I’ll research ideas for our next meetings.

3.  Tell us what GLASS’s main purpose is and how your involvement with GLASS is important to you.

My main goal is to provide a safe haven through GLASS for any LGBTQ students who might need a judgment free place to vent or to discuss LGBTQ issues in our community.  This year I’ve been really trying to focus on building up our club and letting people know that an LGBTQ community does exist on this campus.  It’s important to me that LGBTQ students know that they have a place to go where people share the same pride.

(Above: Jillian at GLASS’ annual drag show, which will be in March this year.)

4.  What are some of GLASS’s upcoming events for this semester?  How can students get involved?

This coming Thursday (Oct. 16) at 7 p.m. in Echlin 101, GLASS will be screening “Milk”, the historical account of the life of the first openly gay politician, Harvey Milk.  The screening will be in celebration of LGBT History Month.  We will also be serving cookies, so look for our flyers in the student center!  We also meet every Tuesday night at 9:15 p.m. in Tator Hall, Room 114!

5.  Are you involved in any other extracurriculars on campus?

As the president of a cultural and identity club, I’m also on the Leadership Counsel.  Myself and the other presidents meet once a month to discuss our upcoming events and also to get advice on how we can all better our organizations.

6.  Who would you say is your role model?  How have they influenced you?

My mom is absolutely my role model.  She has always encouraged me to be myself and to speak my mind.  Being involved with GLASS allows me to do this because everyone deserves to be equal.

7.  Do you have any advice for our readers?

Own it!  You can never truly be happy if you aren’t true to yourself.

Special thanks to Jillian for taking the time to talk to us.  Be sure to check out what’s happening with GLASS and support Quinnipiac’s LGBTQ community!

Senior at Quinnipiac. I love traveling, shopping, Lake George, family, friends, my two dogs, glitter, and elephants :) Feel free to follow me on Pinterest, as well as Instagram and Twitter @annienoordsy
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!