Jaiana Singleton ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Jaiana Singleton, an accounting major with a minor in entrepreneurship, brings her musical style to WQAQ 98.1 FM every Tuesday night from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m.  Singleton is from Poughkeepsie, New York and currently hosts TurnUpTunez, which features new guest hosts every week.

Although this is her first time hosting a radio show, Singleton always has interesting topics to cover, ranging from fashion advice to dorm room turn-offs, and the public’s reception has been great (complete with live tweets every night that add to the conversation.)  People from different schools have joined in on the nightly discussions and Singleton’s interesting guests provide the conversation with more substance and a variety of perspectives.

As the host and DJ on Tuesday nights, Singleton is responsible for making sure QU students have a chance to hear music that normally wouldn’t be played in Hamden, as well as helping to promote student activities on campus.  The community needs more spark and diversity—two things most students don’t have access to on a regular basis, according to Singleton.

Singleton’s hosting style is energetic, upbeat, funny and most importantly, turnt up.  Every week, there are two new guest hosts to help her discuss the topic of the night, but the core of the show sticks to Singleton’s musical roots.  She plays hip-hop, R&B, rap and a variety of other genres.  Her musical experience in playing the guitar, singing and dancing helps her find the music that influences the people.

These musical tools are what lead Singleton to be a Def Jam College Representative.  As one of two representatives in the state of Connecticut, her duty is to find what college students want musically.  Part of her job includes helping promote artists at local schools and giving the community something new to listen to.  Singleton’s dedication to bringing different musical flavors to the QU community is the driving force in her job as a Def Jam Representative.

Singleton wants to leave a legacy at Quinnipiac.  Her time here is limited, but she strives to make sure that the public likes the tastes and standards of her radio show.  If you support the idea of someone who prioritizes her time and is dedicated to the positive, musical growth of the QU community, then hers is the show for you.

My name is Tori Batiste and I am a current junior at Quinnipiac University studying Film and Women's Studies. I am a Texas native and cant wait for life to bring more happiness and joy. I enjoy anything that can spark my imagination and that challenges me. I have so much to share with the world that I just cant help but express myself.
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!