Jackie Pegno ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Senior Jackie Pegno left my speechless was she told me to be “my own devil wears Prada.” The Senior International Business Major, Marketing Minor is in the works of creating her own company. Instead of working for the devil wearing Prada, she plans on having a glamorous job by being her own devil in fabulous clothes. I sat down with Pegno, this week’s Campus Celebrity, to hear more about the plans for her upcoming company!

SAMI MOORE, HER CAMPUS QUINNIPIAC: What made you want to create your own company?

JACKIE PEGNO: I’ve always loved to work and while it might be the safer bet to join a company that’s already established, something about being able to call the company my own and genuinely work for myself just makes me even more motivated and excited. Having my own business means I set my own expectations, my own standards and my own responsibilities. It’s a rush and why not take the chance and see where it goes?!

SM: Do you have a name for it yet? If so, what is it! We would love to know some of the fabulous details!

JP: I’m playing with names like JP Expedients and JP Configurations. I want to basically be a planning service. Desperately need your hair done? I’ll send my stylist your way! Need a car service so you can be the life of the party? I got it covered! Want to take a quick getaway trip? Pack your bags, and I’ll help you get there! Forgot the dress? No worries I’ll go shop for one for you! By using my company you can focus your time on important things and even get discounts since I hope to grow partnerships with service businesses this year. I want to target mostly women who are doing great things as corporate ladies or as supermoms who just don’t have the time. Men can easily use the service too! I hope that I can offer clients not only their time back for themselves but special rates since I’ll be partnering with hairstylists and the like.

SM: What are you looking to do with your company? How do you plan on doing so?

JP: I’m looking to get a solid client base as soon as possible and really focus on customer service. I want to be based in Manhattan and advertise like crazy to get my name out there. I hope that by being professional from the beginning with an office and a website, etc I can really jump start the company! (even if it means sacrificing with lots of ramen dinners) I’m also starting it now while I’m at Quinnipiac so hopefully by the time I graduate (ahh!) I’ll have a foundation.

SM: Would you say that being a QU Bobcat has given you some necessary skills to create your own company? If so, how?

JP: Oh definitely!! With all the things I’m involved in on campus it really encourages you to be motivated and a leader. Being a Bobcat helped me find what’s right for me and not change me to be right for something else. Being in the business school really helped, too. I have professors with real world experience that help show me how to run a business and how to market it. I definitely have a good set of tools for the future!

SM: For other collegiettes at QU who want to start their own company, do you have any advice for them?

JP: NEVER GIVE UP!!! It takes a ton of time and it might not be immediately successful but the payoff is so much greater when you know you did something so big from the ground up. Try to stay really organized and set goals and don’t be afraid to ask for help!

SM: Where do you see your company in 10 years?

JP: In ten years I’d love to see it grow to the point where I’d have employees do the planning and organizing while I oversee bigger picture operations. I would hope that by then id have partnerships that have lasted a while and maybe even have offices in LA or Chicago! (a girl can dream, right?!)

SM: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

JP: Fingers crossed I hope to see myself still enjoying what I got myself into with a huge dog to watch Netflix with and a closet full of shoes! In ten years I hope I have the ability to travel a ton and enjoy my friends and family. Bottom line, you just have to be happy.

SM: What is your ultimate career goal?

JP: I’d LOVE to see this company really take off and be able to see the results of what I’ve worked hard for. Career wise no matter what, I want to enjoy it and always involve working with people.

SM: What organizations are you involved in on campus?

JP: I’m a sister in Alpha Delta Pi sorority, member of Enactus, on the Orientation Leader staff for the past three years and I studied abroad in Barcelona.

SM: Is there anything else you would like to say?

JP: Just thank you so much for this amazing chance to be a campus celeb and I can’t wait to see what other fabulous celebs QU has in store!

Thank you so much for the great interview, Jackie! Her Campus’ Chapter of Quinnipiac can’t wait to see you take conquer your dream, one fabulous shoe at a time!