Hey Cosmopolitan, I’m Pretty Sure the Obamas are America’s First Family, Not the Kardashians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Kardashian/Jenner families should be anything but role models for people, especially young women?

I certainly can’t be. I have always wondered why America has put this family in the spotlight and been simply obsessed with them. There are several reasons as to why I don’t “keep up” with this family.

First of all, Kim Kardashian became famous due to the release of her sex tape with Ray J. This is teaching girls that they too can become famous if they have sex with a guy and then post it to the worldwide web. Instead of simply stopping this sex tape from being viewed, Kim exploited this tape so she could make money. What a great thing to be teaching young girls, Kim.

Second of all, this family does not possess any skills or talents but somehow they make millions of dollars filming weddings that last mere days or coming up with some other pointless spinoff of “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” such as “Kourtney and Kim Take Miami.” Sadly, they haven’t really worked hard for any of their earnings, which demonstrate to young girls that you don’t have to work for anything in your life and it is all just handed to you, which shouldn’t be emphasized.

Next, how in any way is Caitlyn Jenner deserving of any “Woman of the Year” award? Would you like to answer this for me, Glamour magazine? What in God’s name has she done to make this world a better place? I am pretty sure Caitlyn hasn’t saved any lives or done anything heroic. In fact, before her transition to Caitlyn, she killed someone in a car accident! Would that also be deserving of an ESPY award, ESPN? I certainly don’t think so.

Additionally, the dialogue between the Kardashian/Jenner girls and the matriarch, Kris, is atrocious. They tell each other to f*** off as well as call each other names such as “bitch” and “slut.” I could not even imagine saying any of these things to my own mother without being slapped hard across the face and possibly kicked out of the house. Even if my mother and I don’t get along sometimes, I would never, ever dare say any of those things to her. It’s disrespectful, rude, and utterly disgusting. This just demonstrates their lack of respect for one another and how their view of family is dysfunctional.

So, why do we continue to promote and highlight this family? What is so special about them, America? The more we watch and read about the Kardashian/Jenner family, the more we are funding their ability to destruct future generations. 

Senior at Quinnipiac. I love traveling, shopping, Lake George, family, friends, my two dogs, glitter, and elephants :) Feel free to follow me on Pinterest, as well as Instagram and Twitter @annienoordsy
Kacey LaBar

Quinnipiac

A Jersey Girl at heart with big city dreams! I'm a senior at Quinnipiac University. I love writing about celebrities, trends, music & movies!