Fool-Proof Styling Tips for Any Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

It’s finally spring, and the end of the semester is fast approaching.  This really becomes crunch time between work, classes, homework and, yes, interviews for summer internships and jobs.  Here are a few helpful hints on how to style to impress your potential new boss:

When it comes to clothing

Keep it simple, ladies.  A pair of nice, neutral slacks or a pencil skirt is an appropriate bottom choice.  If you choose to wear pants, make sure they fit nicely—not to tight, not too loose.  If you choose to wear a skirt, make sure it’s not too short.  The same goes for if you choose to wear a dress.  The rule of thumb is to make sure it’s at least fingertip length when your arms are at your sides.  With a skirt or dress you’ll also want to wear sheer, nude tights.

For tops, try to avoid bright colors, as they may subconsciously convey authority or dominance.  This is also a case where you can stick to neutral colors, like white or grey; if you want to add a pop of color, a pale palette could do the trick.  Just make sure the color is not the most prominent part of your outfit.

Another thing to avoid is overwhelming patterns, on tops and pants.  Pinstripes or other small patterns are OK.  The rule is that a pattern is OK if it looks solid from across the room.  You don’t want the interviewer to remember you for what you wore.  You don’t want to be identified as the one who wore the crazy pattern or the really bright color.  Make sure your outfit leaves room for your personality.

Finally, shoes.  Shoes can make or break your outfit.  Normally, a plain flat or heel will do the trick.  However, beware if you wear heels: 1) Be sure they’re not too high.  Three to four inches should be the maximum; 2) Make sure your can walk in them.  You don’t want to be tripping and falling all over your interviewer; 3) No open toes.  No strappy sandals.  A traditional, closed-toe, clean shoe will never fail you!

When it comes to hair

Hair can also make or break your whole look.  Keep it neat!  Don’t go in with a messy bun or crazy stray hairs flying everywhere.  You can wear your hair down in a nice, neat hairstyle, but make sure you’re not going play with it during the interview.  If you’re someone who twirls or runs her fingers through her hair constantly, you might want to wear it up to avoid looking unprofessional.

Wear it in a neat ponytail or bun, but be careful here, too.  Be sure the ponytail or bun doesn’t look lazy.  Use some hairspray to keep your up-do looking neat and put together.  You don’t want to be remembered as the candidate with the crazy or messy hairdo.

When it comes to makeup

Finally, the makeup.  This is another aspect of the look that you should definitely keep simple.  Use some concealer to cover up any acne or other blemishes.  Then use a skin color foundation to even out your skin tone.  Don’t cake it on!  Use just enough to still look natural.  Also, maybe trade in the bronzer and contouring for a more professional look.

Next are the eyes.  A nude color palette is ideal for eye shadows.  Eyeliner should also be minimal.  Stay away from any bright colors.  Black is fine here, but don’t make it too thick.  Finally, a few coats of some minimal mascara is fine.  And please, for the love of everything, do not wear fake eyelashes.  Keep your eyes as natural looking as possible.  You don’t want the interviewer to be distracted by your club-ready eye makeup.

Lipstick is something that can really be left out.  I’m sure your lips are fine the way they are.  But if you do want to add a little color, like all your other makeup, make sure it’s not bright or distracting.

When it comes to nails

Like everything else in this interview attire, your nails should be neat, as well.  The first thing is that they should be nicely groomed: clipped and filed before the interview.  They should also not have chipped polish on them.  Either have newly painted, un-chipped nails or don’t have nail polish at all.  If you do wear nail polish, this is another thing that should not be bright or flashy, so stay away from the neon and glitter.  Natural colors, like light pink or nude, or dark colors like grey or dark blue are acceptable.

When it comes to jewelry

Jewelry can really be a great way to add some color and a little extra style if you want to.  All earrings, bracelets, necklaces and any other jewelry should be kept simple but can contain a little bit of color for an accent.  Don’t wear any dangling, distracting earrings, and the same goes for necklaces.  Make sure your necklace is not too long and not too flashy.

For bracelets, they should probably be limited to one so that there is no unnecessary or distracting jingling.  Actually, you should probably make sure nothing you’re wearing is jingling, chiming or making any weird noises.

You may or may not want to take out any facial jewelry you have, such as nose rings or eyebrow rings.  Gauges are also something you might consider reevaluating if you’re jumping into the interview pool.

When it comes to handbags

A small- to medium-sized, professional looking purse is ideal…just enough to hold your necessities.  This can also be an opportunity to add a small pop of color.  Still, try to avoid being too bright or flashy.

You really shouldn’t bring anything you don’t absolutely need on an interview, so bringing a large purse is unnecessary.  A backpack is also an interview no-no.  You don’t want anything you’re going to have to lug around a tour of the office.

With that, you may also want to bring a professional, neutral-colored portfolio, to keep copies of your resume, write notes and keep any important business cards tucked away safely.

The gist is to keep your interview style as simple and professional as you possibly can.  You don’t want to be remembered for any crazy hairstyles or accessory choices.  You want to be remembered for your personality and all your amazing skills and abilities!  So go forth and style professionally.  Best of luck to all of you interviewees!

Hi, I'm Savanna! I'm a junior at Quinnipiac University. I am working towards major is Graphic Design with a minor in Journalism. I have always loved to create, read and write and and am looking forward to implementing all those things in HerCampus!
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!