Do’s and Don’ts of Class Attire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Now that I am a senior (yikes) in college, I think I have a pretty good sense of what is appropriate and what is not appropriate to wear to class. Through these past four years, I have noticed many outfits that aren’t exactly class attire. Do you really want your professor to see that tattoo on your lower back that you got this summer? Didn’t think so. Here is some of my advice for keeping it classy and polished when it comes to your class outfits:

1. DO dress appropriately for the weather

Even though it is early October, it seems to still be warm and humid outside. So when I pack for school, I always make sure to pack shorts and tops that will keep me somewhat cool yet are appropriate to wear to class. For the gentlemen, you can never go wrong with a graphic tee or collared shirt paired with khaki or denim shorts. You’ll keep cool and still look good. For the ladies, a pair of denim shorts (not Daisy Duke status) with a light blouse or tee is always a go-to in this weather.

2. DON’T wear something you would wear to the bars

While it is still warm, that doesn’t make it excusable to wear those high-waisted shorts that show a little booty cheek or those short, tight fitting dresses. This isn’t a Saturday night at Toad’s. Stomach-baring tanks or “crop tops” aren’t exactly what your professor wants to see, either. Just remember the 3 C’s: Classy, Covered, and Comfortable.

3. DON’T wear your pajamas to class

This is one my biggest pet peeves. There is nothing more sloppy-looking than wearing tattered flannel PJ bottoms to class. It gives off the impression that you are lazy and careless. Believe it or not, this is something your professor picks up on, too. The last thing you want to do is give them that type of impression.  You can easily change into a pair of sweatpants that look slightly better if you’re feeling rushed, but PJ bottoms are a big no-no.

Don’t be these guys:

4. DO look and feel good

What’s most important is that you come to class dressed comfortably, but also appropriately. Walk into class with a smile and a positive attitude and you’re bound to make a lasting impression on your professor!

Do you agree with these tips? What’s your go-to outfit for class? We want to know! Tweet us @hercampusqu!

Senior at Quinnipiac. I love traveling, shopping, Lake George, family, friends, my two dogs, glitter, and elephants :) Feel free to follow me on Pinterest, as well as Instagram and Twitter @annienoordsy
Caisse Davis

Quinnipiac

Hi, Collegiettes! My name is Caisse. I'm a senior journalism major at Quinnipiac University, just looking to prove my writing other than in a sea of girls in Lily and boys in pastel colored button-ups. Feel free to check out my articles, as well as my personal blog! http://caissedavis.wordpress.com