Brangelina: The End of an Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Power couples have redefined relationship goals. They’ve shown hopeless romantics that couples can work to improve themselves, both individually and as a pair. They’ve proved it’s possible to support each other’s pursuits and ambitions fully, even if it means taking turns. And of course, they’ve shown that true love really exists in this world. The first couples that come to mind when talking power couples are Prince William and Kate Middleton, David and Victoria Beckham, Beyoncé and Jay Z, Barack and Michelle Obama… Brad and Angelina.

Last week, TMZ was the first to announce the unthinkable: “Angelina Jolie Files for Divorce from Brad Pitt.” After 12 years of being Brangelina and two years of marriage, Angelina Jolie has called it quits, “citing irreconcilable differences” as the reason for the split. There are rumors arising that Brad Pitt has issues with anger, substance abuse and possibly even child abuse, which is currently under investigation by the FBI.

Looking at photographs from the past 12 years, it is so difficult to fathom all of these issues were going on behind closed doors. There has never been any suspicion that something was amiss within the Jolie-Pitt household, but now all we can do is hope this isn’t an ugly divorce for this beautiful couple.

While Brad and Angelina have an “ironclad” prenuptial agreement of all of their assets, the main topic of concern is who will get custody of their six children. According to the divorce papers, Jolie is looking for sole physical custody with Pitt receiving visitation rights. Parents who hold legal custody have a say in decisions that impact the children while parents with physical custody have the children living with them. Typically, it is not customary for the courts to order 50/50 physical custody due to constant bouncing around and a lack of normalcy for the children. In the end, once this whole divorce has been finalized I will not be #TeamBrad or #TeamAngelina, I will be #TeamBradAndAngelina.

Although Brangelina is dead, Brad and Angelina will forever be a team, working together for the sake of their children. I will be rooting for Angelina, Brad and all of the children in their future endeavors separately, and as a family. 

Drew Iorillo

Quinnipiac

Drew Iorillo is a current student at Quinnipiac University. She is a Cali-Country girl with a love for music and animals. Her likes include watching Netflix, Pinterest, and talking about her favorite TV hotties. Eventually Drew wants to be a talent agent and a photographer on the side. Stay in touch with her blog about new artists ontheryes.wordpress.com, and on her Pinterest (jnkgirl).
Caisse Davis

Quinnipiac

Hi, Collegiettes! My name is Caisse. I'm a senior journalism major at Quinnipiac University, just looking to prove my writing other than in a sea of girls in Lily and boys in pastel colored button-ups. Feel free to check out my articles, as well as my personal blog! http://caissedavis.wordpress.com