Am I the Only One Who’s Single?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

While I was home for winter break, I think it truly sank in how alone I am.  I don’t mean alone regarding friends and family; I have always felt supported and loved by them.  There has just always been one thing missing in my life: a boyfriend.

Having a boyfriend isn’t necessary for one’s survival.  Having a boyfriend shouldn’t depend on your happiness, either.  Females need to learn to be happy on their own, yes, but in all honesty, we want someone at the end of the day to call ours and to make us feel beautiful.  However, finding that special someone isn’t something every girl experiences while in college.

There are those lucky individuals who find their “life partners” in high school or college.  I have friends who have been with their boyfriends for four years and have said that they will end up married.  While I’m happy for them, my heart silently breaks as I think that I may never find my own prince charming.

People have often said that the key to finding love is not to look.  How am I not supposed to look?  Should I perhaps look when I’m not scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed where a high school classmate has posted a picture of her engagement ring or an old friend announces a surprise anniversary trip her boyfriend has planned for her?

I know I should be happy for these girls.  Their boyfriends treat them like princesses, and it gives me hope that not all guys are out to break a girl’s heart.  I can’t help but wonder where that guy is for me.

I only have two friends that are recently single.  In a way, we feel left out since we’ve noticed the growing amount of girls our age who are getting engaged.

Generally, people want to be happy.  Once someone finds a significant other they think will make them happy, it’s almost like we can hear wedding bells in the distance.

Maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to settle down and marry our high school sweethearts.  It’s important to be happy and feel loved, but we should see what else is out there.

Senior at Quinnipiac. I love traveling, shopping, Lake George, family, friends, my two dogs, glitter, and elephants :) Feel free to follow me on Pinterest, as well as Instagram and Twitter @annienoordsy
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!