6 Tumblrs Every Collegiette Should Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

If you’re like most collegiettes, you have an account on Tumblr.  Whether you host your own blog and have hundreds of followers or you sit back and do nothing but reblog others, you are a part of one of the largest social media networks on the Internet.  Literally, your blog is one in 143.5 million.

To heighten your Tumblr experience, and perhaps decrease the time spent prepping for final projects, follow these six unique blogs:

1.     Humansofnewyork

Humans of New York is a project that Brandon Stanton started three summers ago.  Stanton wanted to create a “photographic census” of New York City, so he hit the streets with his camera.  Humansofnewyork features photos of people Stanton has met in the Big Apple, often captioned by inspiring/witty/funny/peculiar/interesting/moving quotes.  Follow this blog if you like simple stories of humanity and constant reminders of what the world has to offer.

2.     Aplaceforart

Aplaceforart is a fairly simple Tumblr blog that features sweet little computer-generated sketches.  The graphics are fun, colorful, and span an array of styles, so lots of different people can appreciate the posts.  Many of the graphics include positive, uplifting messages that are totally worth printing and taping to your mirror.  Aplaceforart is about appreciating the little things in life, even if those things include cute drawings of elephants.

3.     kalifornia-klasss

Kylie Jenner is the owner of this fabulous blog, which features pictures of many of the fiercest female celebrities known to Hollywood—including the Kardashians.  And while Kylie does post paparazzi photographs of herself, the main focus of her blog does not appear to be on herself.  Rather, she likes things that are high fashion, different, and intriguing…which means that your Tumblr will begin to take on these qualities every time you reblog.

4.     Outofreception

I found this blog on a whim one day, and I’m so glad I did.  Out of Reception is a project started by Foster Huntington just over 12 years ago.  Huntington quit his high-rise job in New York City and decided to move into a camper and spend his time with nature, traveling, surfing, and camping.  Outofreception is a collection of photographs that Huntington has taken over the years.  This blog proves that being happy involves exploring and connecting with Mother Nature.

5.     Rappersdoingnormalshit

This blog is based off of a simple concept, which is the idea that celebrities are equally as human as everyone else.  Rappersdoingnormalsh*t takes a look into the fairly normal lives of the most popular rappers in the game, including Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, and 50 Cent.  It features mostly grainy photographs, probably taken from a bystander’s cell phone, of celebrities acting (gasp!)normal.  You’ll be strangely comforted when you see the photos of hard rappers doing things like pouring sangria and sitting in the dentist’s chair.

6.     what-do-i-wear

What-do-i-wear is the ultimate fashion blog, perfect for when you’re feeling super creative or when you need a little outfit inspiration.  It features high-definition photos of street fashions, runway and red carpet looks from across the globe, and accessory profiles.  The styles featured on what-do-i-wear range from edgy to boyish to sweet to simplistic.  The street posts are easy to imitate, which means you’ll be best-dressed on campus in no time.

Go ahead!  Type these blogs into your search bar and follow your favorites.  And for a more comprehensive list of the best Tumblrs, check out Time’s “30 Tumblrs to Follow in 2013”: http://techland.time.com/2013/…

I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!