6 Crucial Tips for Surviving Winter Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Settling into a new semester is tough enough!  Add in the uncertainty Mother Nature creates, and you’ve got an even more stressful winter experience.  With blizzard season approaching us quickly, or perhaps already upon us, here are a few tips to stay safe and survive this winter:

Keep yourself warm.

There’s nothing worse than walking to class in freezing temperatures.  The most effective way to ensure that you stay warm is to dress in layers.  During a blizzard, the last thought on your mind should be “How do I look?” because, frankly, no one can see you when there’s snow flying past his or her face at 50 miles per hour!

A warm winter coat and winter boots are a great investment for this chilly season!  Break out the three pairs of leggings and socks, as well as the parka, because during a snow storm, one of the most important things is staying warm!

Stay updated on weather conditions.

Social media is one of the greatest outlets for receiving up-to-date information.  Follow local news channels for weather alerts in and around your area.  Some weather alert centers have the option of sending notices to your phone.  This is an excellent tool if you’re not readily able to access the Internet.  Most importantly, stay in touch with your family to inform them of your status and to ensure that they are safe.

Gather necessary items.

There’s nothing worse than being trapped in your residence due to inclement weather and not having what you need!  Create an itinerary of items that you already have and try to determine what it is that you need.  By doing this, you will be able to gather necessary items before the bad weather prevents you from leaving your home.  Some items you may want to make sure that you have are flashlights, blankets, bottled water, non-perishable foods and shovels.

Anticipate power outages.

With winter weather, unfortunately, sometimes comes power outages.  Preparing for a power outage will ensure that you are not overwhelmed by the lack of electricity.  Make sure to have flashlights with back-up batteries.  If candles are allowed on your campus or in your home, these are also a great source of light.  A lack of power also means a lack of heating!  Blankets are the perfect source of heat during a power outage, so make sure to have a lot to keep you feeling cozy.

Charge all electronics.

Electronics, including cell phones and laptops, are important sources of communication.  To ensure that your parents do not have a panic attack due to not being able to contact you, be sure to charge all electronics ahead of time in case of a power outage.  In preparation of a possible power outage, be sure to use your electronics as little as possible.

Get gas and move your car to a safe location.

Sometimes during snowstorms that involve power outages, gas stations may be temporarily closed.  Take an extra precaution by filling your car with enough gas to last you for a sufficient amount of time.  Much like weather, power outages are also unpredictable and can last up to a week!

Also, if your car is parked in a location that is exposed to inclement weather conditions, try to move it to a safer location.  Parking garages are the most ideal locations.  If this is not a possibility, be prepared by purchasing a shovel to successfully dig your car out of the snow!

The most important thing to remember about an approaching snowstorm is to not panic.  Panicking often causes us to make mistakes, which can make matters worse.  If a storm is approaching, it is better to be with friends than by yourself.  So get together and make plans to brace the storm together!

Mother Nature is unpredictable, but with these few tips you will have a head start on surviving winter weather.  And for those of you who are already over the snow, we’ll wake you up in April ;)

Hello, My name is Brittany Hayles and I am a sophomore student at Quinnipiac University! I am currently studying Business Management with a minor in Computer Information Systems, in hopes of someday working as a manager in the corporate side of the fashion industry!
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!