4 Fitness Myths…Busted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

So it’s halfway through the semester, and you’re finally in the habit of getting to the gym.  You watch what you eat and kill your workouts.  But people around you are spewing all sorts of facts about diet and exercise.  Are they myths or not?  Let’s tackle four of the biggest misconceptions.

1.  Carbs are bad for you and will cause weight gain.

This is perhaps the biggest misconception.  I’ve come across some people who go on low-carb diets and walk around like zombies.  Why?  Because they lack the energy that carbs provide your body.

Contrary to popular belief, carbs can actually prevent weight gain and help you lose weight.  Too many calories are the cause for weight gain.  As long as you have a healthy balance and control your portions, you will not put on weight.  Complex carbs, such as sweet potatoes and brown rice, are great options to add to your meals.

2.  Eating before bed will make you fat.

No, eating before bed will not make you fat.  If you stay within your caloric goal for the day, it doesn’t matter what time you eat.  According to Bodybuilding.com, eating a snack before bed can actually benefit you.  You’ll sleep easier and won’t have to deal with hunger pains in the middle of the night, which can interrupt your sleep cycle.

Control your portions throughout the day and know how much you eat to avoid the extra pounds.

3.  Cardio is the only important form of exercise.

Spending hours on the treadmill or elliptical can get boring—amiright?  While cardio is a good element to have in your fitness regime, too much can be a bad thing.

Women’s Health says that while you may lose fat, you will lose muscle, as well.  So, what does that mean?  That booty that you worked hard to earn will disappear.  After all, it is muscle.

Incorporate bodyweight exercises such as squats and lunges, which promote muscle growth.  Don’t be afraid to reach for the weights!  Which brings us to our next myth…

4.  Lifting weights will make you bulk.

No ladies, you won’t look like Superman.

Instead, you will achieve that toned look that you want.  Reach for the weights.  You won’t “bulk” because women do not have high enough levels of testosterone present in their bodies.

So don’t worry—you won’t turn into the Hulk….It’s okay to lift.

Stay healthy, collegiates!

Print Journalism major with a passion for fitness, health, life, and the simple things. If you want to read more of work, check out my blog: http://naturallymel.wordpress.com/
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!