13 Classes You Should Consider Registering For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Registration has come and gone for many of us, and—let’s be honest—some of us have gotten stuck with classes we’re less than thrilled about.  Some classes are required for us collegiettes to take whether we like it or not, while others are going to contribute to our majors  Some students aren’t aware that Quinnipiac offers some really unique classes that a lot of students have yet to take advantage of.  So if you have a free spot, want to replace a class. or just want some fun in your schedule, take a look into these 13 sweet options:

1.  AR 140 – Basic Visual Design

This course exposes students to the basics of two-dimensional design.  Topics include the elements of design, the principles of order, and how these basics combine to create good composition.

Credits: 3

2.  AR 158 – Photography I

This beginning course in still photography is designed to teach basic photographic techniques.  Additional topics include lighting, advertising, fashion and portrait photography.  Students must provide an adjustable still camera, film and processing.

Credits: 3

3.  AR 251- Studio Art: Drawing

This studio course serves as an introduction to basic drawing skills.  Subjects may include still life, landscape and portraits.  Work is done in pencil, ink and other media.

Credits: 3

4.  AR 262 – Studio Art: Watercolor

This course introduces students to the basics of watercolor.  Participants explore different topics through a series of short in-class projects and longer out-of-class assignments.  Topics include specialized watercolor painting techniques, color theory and assignments based on both traditional and contemporary styles.  All work is completed in watercolor with some mixed media components.

Credits: 3

5.   GDD 101- Intro to Game Design

This course introduces students to the history and development of games (card games, social games, digital games); theories of game design and play; the study of the social effects of games; the role of serious games for teaching and learning and production practices in the games industry.

Credits: 3

6.   IDD 110 – Design Research and Methods

This foundation course in research methods for art and design introduces informed strategies for problem solving and prepares students for upper-level coursework in interactive digital design.  Emphasis is placed on the role of critical thinking in the design process.  Theoretical models of design analysis are introduced.  Practical hands-on methods include visual research, design journals, thumbnail sketches, mind maps, storyboards, comprehensives, diagramming, prototyping, case studies, topic and content development and other forms of conceptualization.

Credits: 3

7.  IDD 160 – Digital Design I

This course presents an introduction to the design process using professional level software for digital image creation and editing, typesetting and typography, page layout and design in preparation for advanced course work.  Students produce course projects that demonstrate creativity, design concepts, critical thinking, aesthetic principles and basic technical competence.

Credits: 3

8.   PE 102 – Yoga

Through yoga, students learn to honor their bodies, quiet their minds and relieve stress and anxiety.  Practicing yoga helps participants to bring peace and order into their busy lives.

Credits: 1

9.   PE 109 – Indoor Rock Climbing

This is a basic course in rock climbing, utilizing indoor climbing walls at an off-campus facility.  Students are taught proper technique, safety and knots, as well as the purchase, use and maintenance of equipment.  (Off-campus location at Prime Club in Wallingford.  Students must provide their own transportation, a course fee applies.)

Credits: 1

10.   PE 125 – Pilates

Pilates is one of the most challenging and effective means of building core stability, improving body mechanics, balance, coordination, strength and flexibility.  Starting with the foundation of mat Pilates, this course presents an in-depth approach to breathing instruction, body alignment and a unique set of challenging exercise sequences.  Students learn basic anatomy and physiology as it relates to Pilates.

Credits: 1

11.  PE 162 – Canoeing Weekend

In this course, participants learn to canoe.  Instruction allows students to explore several parts of the Connecticut coastline including lakes, Farm River and the New Haven harbor.  No experience is necessary; all equipment is provided.  Students must be available Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.  (Off-campus location at Hanover Pond in Meriden.  Students must provide their own transportation, and a course fee applies.)

Credits: 1

12.  PE 180 – Self Defense – Krav Maga

This course introduces students to the basic physical and mental skill sets needed to increase the probability of surviving an attack.  Students focus on non-weapon close combat methods, including proper fighting stance, movement, striking, choke defense, head lock defense and defense against displacement attacks (being lifted and taken away).  Students work closely with the instructor and other students in a structured environment where safety is considered the top priority, followed closely by fun and fitness!

Credits: 1

13.   PE 182 – Taekwondo I

Taekwondo provides a fun and effective fitness regimen in its diverse aspects as a form of self-defense, as an art form, and as a competitive sport.  Classes consist of extensive stretching, the teaching of basics to beginners, forms of self-defense and sparring techniques.  Participants use traditional punching, kicking and blocking techniques from ancient martial arts disciplines for self-defense, as well as ancient principles of self-control, focus, balance, oneness and self-discipline.  Taekwondo emphasizes the use of the whole body, enhances flexibility and coordination, and increases aerobic capability.  Promotional tests are held at the end of each semester.

Credits: 1

Having previously taken some of these classes, I can attest to the fact that they are fun and interesting as well as a nice break from studying and homework!  If you happen to have an open spot or two, you should really consider enrolling in some of the above QU classes.  They will make your fall semester just a little more interesting and relaxing.

Hi, I'm Savanna! I'm a junior at Quinnipiac University. I am working towards major is Graphic Design with a minor in Journalism. I have always loved to create, read and write and and am looking forward to implementing all those things in HerCampus!
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!