freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentine’s Day: How To Improve Your Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Find something interactive you can do together

Teamwork makes the dream work. Going to an arcade, playing a sport, figuring the ins and outs of an escape room game, making up reasons why the animals at the zoo are in jail – all are great ideas to put your relationship to the test. Movies and popcorn are great, but it does not give you a chance to explore the dynamics of how you are together.

Try each other’s hobbies

Find out what it is that makes your S.O. so interested in their hobby, and get them to find out what it is that makes you so interested in yours. Doing this may foster a new type of intimacy and encourage an open mind. Is it the physical challenge of rock climbing, or the mental challenge of chess?

Do something new

Studies show that couples who explore new interests together are happier with their relationships. This is because new habits release dopamine, a neurotransmitter that controls the brain’s reward and pleasure centers. On a less scientific level, creating new experiences as a couple is what keeps the honeymoon phase alive.

Know that it’s not about lavish gifts

The best gift you can give your S.O. this V-day is appreciation and gratitude. It’s more important to show and tell through action and words more than it is with money.

Surprises!

Make your day just that more exciting with a little surprise. The happy feelings that you experience will persist even longer than expected happenings. Whether it’s a trail of rose petals, some sticky notes with sentimental messages on them, or a digital card, it’s bound to leave an imprint on this special day.

Chloe likes freaking out over dogs on the street, eating, traveling, and lifting more than your boyfriend.