Top 10 Things You Realize Coming Back to University After the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

1. Did the gym get smaller or are there just a lot more people here?

Ah, those optimistic new year’s resolutions, hopefully others won’t last as long so I can get my Smith machine back. 

2. The food on campus does not compare to home cooked meals.

This one’s a big reality check cause let’s be honest, nothing compares to a home cooked meal and not having to scarf down ramen between classes was nice while it lasted.

3. Consistently writing 2017 at the top of your page, failing to realize it’s now 2018.

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. 

4. How much you missed hanging out at your usual campus bar.

There’s just something comforting walking back into Canteen or The Mansion and pulling up to your usual booth. 

5. That unpacking is much harder than throwing everything in your suitcase.

This was so much easier when I could just throw all my dirty laundry in a hamper.

6. You’re going to need to return to that student budget life (holla!).

The financial struggle after the holidays is no joke. “Looks like we’re drinking Busch tonight boys!”

7. Coming to terms with the extra pounds you may have put on from eating too many Christmas cookies and turkey sandwiches.

Between all those candies in your stocking, grandma’s cooking and lots of holiday party drinking, this one was inevitable, but it’s okay we’re all in this together.

8. Everyone showing off their flashy new get up they received for Christmas.

Since when did everyone have a pair of wireless headphones?

9. That you actually have to shovel the snow, take out the trash and do the dishes.

Ah, living alone is such a harsh wake up call. No longer can you push your chores onto your little brother or sister and if you don’t do your dishes you know your roommates are going to be pissed. 

10. Waking up for 8:30 classes is just as hard as it was in September.

Yep, no surprises here, except now it’s just pitch black at seven a.m. and you have to trek through the Arctic Tundra to get to campus.

Happy first week back! 

Hi there! My name is Hayley and I'm a fourth year English/Environmntal Studies student at Queens University! I love writing and voicing my opinions on various topics from self esteem to my vegetarian diet. I love animals and long deep convo's with my friends. I'm looking forward to writing many articles for Her Campus and I hope you enjoy!