Three Things You Should Stop Doing, Woman-Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Hi. If you’re a woman, or a girl, or you’re in that weird adolescent stage in between the two that none of us know what to call, listen up. I’m going to put this in a list, because we’re that Buzzfeed generation that can’t read anything unless it’s in a list.

So here we go. Here are three things that we need to stop doing:

1. Stop shaming girls for stupid, irrelevant crap.

2. Stop shaming girls for stupid, irrelevant crap.

3. Stop shaming girls for stupid, irrelevant crap.

Here’s the thing. I completely and entirely understand that not everyone will get along or will respect each other, regardless of gender. However, identifying as a woman, I feel like there are some things that we can all relate to that make us feel small and always have. So all I’m asking of you, woman-girl-adolescent, is that you don’t amplify the things that make us women feel small. Don’t make other women-girls feel small! Because we’re not and we never were. Things as trivial as our looks and the amount of skin we show are things that we all think about and are a little insecure about. And it’s okay to admit that, even if society tells us we shouldn’t. 

So here’s another list for thought:

1. Start putting girls up for important, meaningful things.

2. Start putting girls up for important, meaningful things.

3. Start putting girls up for important, meaningful things.

And, if that doesn’t persuade you, here’s a poem I wrote as a fellow woman-girl who’s still learning too:

Jess is a second year drama and philosophy student at Queens university, she loves to play ukulele and eat pierogies at the same time. She is passionate about many things and loves watching humans be humans.