My Experience at the Her Campus National Intercollegiette Conference 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

My love affair with New York City started before I had even travelled there. I had always thought of it as this magical place where people with dreams reside, and in the midst of all the noise and commotion of the city, it’s a place where all of those dreams have a chance of coming true. The first time I went to New York was last year with my family and I spent my trip observing all of my surroundings, taking pictures in my mind (and also at the time, my poor quality camera phone) to capture the beauty of it all in motion right there in front of me. This year was completely different.

I attended the Her Campus National Intercollegiette Conference on Saturday July 12 and Sunday July 13. As excited as I was, I didn’t want to get my hopes up too high for an amazing trip for the slight chance that I may be disappointed with the result. But of course, I was wrong to even consider the possibility of something going wrong (other than getting lost in the subway multiple times) because it was beyond what I could ever imagine.

I attended the conference with a fellow Her Campus writer, Alina Kahil (on the right) and we decided to make a weekend out of this trip, neither of us with the slightest idea of what to expect.

The moment we stepped on the campus of Columbia University, I knew that whatever came next would be worth it – and if it wasn’t, we could just spend the rest of the time taking pictures #nofilter.

Anyways, when we finally got inside for registration, we were given these adorable name-tags and a completely packed goody bag. And when I say packed, I mean overflowing with free stuff, and everyone who knows anything about me knows how much I love free stuff! After grabbing some breakfast, we all took a seat for an introduction and the first keynote speaker. While munching away my delicious blueberry flavoured Luna bar, I took the time to look around the room at everyone who was just as eager as I was for this opportunity. I realized that I was surrounded by people with goals and dreams, those of which were similar to mine, and we had all come together in this magical city to try and make something out of them. There was something we all could take out of this conference and the greatest feeling was that we were all in this together.

The most memorable person I had met would probably be Emma Barker, Cosmopolitan’s Sex and Relationships Editor. Typically, I thought I would get a chance to meet her after watching her seminar, but the lineup was far too long and I decided that I would talk to her near the end of the conference during the networking reception. Well, that is not exactly how it happened. Alina and I decided that during the lunch hour, we should take pictures around the campus after we eat. It made sense at the time, but come to think of it, it was probably not the best idea to take pictures the moment after we stuffed our faces with Chipotle. Of course in that moment, our excitement overpowered the functioning of our brains. After countless photo-shoot sessions and attempting to pose in every stance possible, we realized we only had five minutes to get back into the conference to listen to the next speaker! While speed-walking in heels, I abruptly came to a stop after noticing that Emma Barker herself had just walked past me. I didn’t exactly know what move to make next and so I did what any rational human being would do – I yelled her name and began to run towards her. Now, please note that I am in no way a runner. I do not understand people who run or how they do it consistently and for longer than a period of two minutes. The only reason that I would ever run is if a murderer is chasing me and also I guess to meet Emma Barker. Not only did I run, but I did it in my heels. Don’t worry, the pain caught up to me moments after, but I do not regret it at all. Anyhow, I realized that when I finally caught up to her, I had no idea what to say. I may have even forgotten how to speak in English for a moment. However, even though I stuttered my way through every word, she was such a kind person and still somehow managed to hold a conversation with me. Afterwards I felt a mix between a sense of accomplishment and complete embarrassment. It was fantastic.

Overall, I learned so much about different aspects of not only writing, but the whole magazine industry. The marketing aspects, the photography, digital vs print, and how it is difficult to get in the industry (but not impossible!). If you think about it, struggle comes along with every part of your life so you might as well put everything into what you love and make the struggle worth it. Like I said, it was the perfect weekend and I definitely plan to go again next year!  

HC Queen's U contributor