Campus Cutie: Sofia Melendez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Name: Sofia Melendez

Program: Psychology

Year: 2nd 

Hometown: Guadalajara, Mexico

Favourite food: Ginger cookies made by my housemate, Bethany.

1. If you could travel anywhere where would you go and why?

To the centre of a black hole without being spaghettified to uncover its mysteries!!  

2. If you could only keep five possessions what would they be?  

I realize my choices are not adaptive or conducive to survival but: 1. My collection of matryoshkas 2. The letters that my friends and family write me 3. My grandmother’s earrings 4. My 1984 book 5. My iPod so that I can still listen to music and dance  

3. Has any event really affected your life like no other?  

I used to have the view that mental illness and problems with mental health were negative events that you hope would never happen to you. Last year one of the people I love the most began to experience severe depression and we have worked together to realize the little beauties in life and to enjoy the simple things. Mental illness, although difficult, doesn’t have to be unfortunate because it enables us to break down barriers to become closer, have a new perspective on life, give us new beginnings, and learn how to really love and support each other.  

4. What do you wish you knew in first year?  

Not everything goes the way you planned, and that is totally okay because you learn and experience so many new and wonderful things!  

5. First word that comes to your head in five seconds?

Cat.

I bet you can’t guess if I’m a cat or dog person, haha.

6. Recommended Netflix binge watches?

Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey, House of Cards, Lord of the Rings, Archer, or Any Tarantino movie.