The Best Ways to Take a Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

With the end of the semester upon us, time seems to be speeding up. Final papers, exams, summer jobs: there’s just so much going on and our to-do lists seem to be getting longer, not shorter. Sometimes we need to take a moment to slow down, take a deep breath, and pause for a moment.

There are different types of breaks, and though we all have a personal favourite, we need to really consider whether our breaks are as useful as they could be.

Netflix – taking a break to watch Friends for the 7th time may seem like a good idea, but after a few episodes, the guilt will set in. Those four episodes were an hour and a half that could’ve been spent better. Netflix actually wants its viewers to binge watch shows, so while you’re letting that next episode timer count down, you’re feeling guilty and not as relaxed as you could be. Maybe skip this break or save it for another time.

Instagram – grabbing your phone and opening Instagram is a great way to take a short break, but it can be really demotivating. Seeing what everyone else is up to will not make you feel better about your exam tomorrow. Seeing perfectly curated highlight reels complete with brunch pics, drinks with friends, and vacation beach shots won’t make studying for exams any more fun.

Gym – heading to the gym for a good sweat is great for stress levels, but if it’s going to exhaust you and make you so tired that you can’t focus, consider going to the gym first thing in the morning or at the end of your day.

Walk – taking a break to stretch your legs, get some fresh air and some vitamin D is a perfect way to pause studying. Blast some music, put your shades on, and go for a walk by the lake!

Planner – writing lists can calm you down and make sure you know what you need to do and when you need to do it… Or it can overwhelm you with just how much there is to do! There’s a fine line between organized and calm or overwhelmed and panicking – be careful when making your lists!

Baking – there have been studies proving the benefits of baking when stressed. Punching some dough, beating eggs, whipping cream – they sound violent but they’re the most delicious way to blow off some steam. Also, baking means that you have a great treat once you’ve written that paper or finished studying!

Taking a break doesn’t mean giving up or falling behind – a good break can motivate you to work better and smarter, not harder. Prioritizing your well-being over staring at a page and not absorbing the material seems like the smart choice, because it is. You work hard for your breaks, make sure your breaks work for you too.

Rachel Baitz is a fourth year Film and Media student at Queen's University, graduating in 2017.