5 Reasons that Going Back to School Isn’t the Worst Thing in the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

No more campfires at sunset, bikini pics, or traveling across the country in a hot minivan with your parents, brother, sister, and dog. Summer is over, classes are starting, and honestly, any motivation you ever had is MIA. You know you’re actually going to have to read that $200 textbook this year if you want to pass that course. What is there to be excited about? 

Well… there may be a couple things. 

1. Seeing your friends again

Sweet, sweet reunions after a long four months apart – is there anything better? Catching up with friends after all that time is more than enough of a reward for going back to school. Although you may feel some FOMO while you listen to their crazy summer stories, just think about how, for the next eight months, you’ll be a part of the stories they tell to their friends when summer rolls around again. 

2. The excitement of new classes, new clothes, new school supplies…

New everything. Whether you use the start of school as an excuse to buy yourself a whole new wardrobe (what’s the difference between a back-to-school outfit and an outfit at any other time, anyway?), or you just like to browse stores for cute new stationary, there’s no better time for new beginnings (like New Year’s, but with actual incentive).  Maybe this is the year you finally get to take that course you’ve been eyeing, or maybe you’ll get a professor who will finally answer your questions about that one problem. There’s no limit to everything new the beginning of each school year brings.

3. Traditions!

We’re still in the realm of new stuff, but this one deserves its own point. Maybe last year you had a movie night every week with your floormates, but this year, you can have a weekly brunch date with your housemates! Old traditions don’t have to end, but the start of a school year is the best time for new traditions to be made, and with them, new memories. Maintaining traditions always gives you something to look forward to, and are important to have as daily, weekly, or monthly reminders to relax and take time for yourself within your busy student life.

4. FALL.

Need I say more? …Okay, I will. The start of school means the start of September, which means the start of the best of the four seasons (it’s a universal truth). Fall: the time for comfy clothes (no more humidity and constant stickiness!), tasty seasonal flavours and people running around in wacky costumes. Just think of all the trees-changing-colours-on-campus Instagram pictures in your future!

5. There’s never a shortage of things to do

If you’ve been sitting around at home for four months, you’re probably bored of it by now. At school, there are hundreds of things to occupy you during all your waking hours. From the gym, to the extracurricular events, to the million-and-one clubs you can join whenever, wherever, you’ll rarely find yourself sitting in your room with nothing to do. University offers endless opportunities to explore your passions, meet new people, or discover a new interest. So, what are you waiting for?