Surviving Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Finals Week is stressful for everyone. On the surface, it appears to be the easiest week of the semester. Most students only have three to five exams that week and you don’t have class. However, living, or more importantly surviving, finals week takes patience and skill. So here are some tips to get you through the week!

Make a Study Schedule

By knowing when to study for which exams, you save yourself wasted time. Map out when your exams are and which ones you know you’re going to have the most trouble with. Start with the earliest exam and study the material that you don’t understand. Going over everything since midterms is going to leave you exhausted and completely overwhelmed.

Get Some Rest

Many students believe that pulling all-nighters only to take a nap for a couple hours and pull another all-nighter is the best way to pass their finals. If your brain is too tired to function properly, you aren’t doing yourself a bit of good. Aim for at least six hours of sleep during finals week. If that means you don’t have time to socialize or watch TV, well we are in college for a reason, right?

Eat Breakfast

Everyone knows that skipping meals especially breakfast is bad. Make sure you’re eating properly this week. It will help you stay focused while you study and while you’re freaking out while taking your exam.

Use Your Resources

Professors and TAs are there for a reason. Email them questions about the exam or if something doesn’t make sense even after you’ve read and looked over your notes. Just don’t wait until the last minute. They may not get back to you in time.

Relax

Take a deep breath. Now take another one. Finals are only as stressful as you make them. Don’t think that your entire future hangs on the result of one exam. This doesn’t mean that you should totally blow off studying, but take breaks occasionally to walk around and stretch. Your eyes and brain could probably use it.

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.