Ryne Smith: Purdue Basketball Player

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Ryne Smith
Major: Social Studies Education
Graduation Date: May 2013
Hometown: Toledo, Ohio

HC: What are you going to miss the most about playing basketball for Purdue?
Ryne: I am definitely going to miss the games. There is something so fun about being able to run through the tunnel and feeling the excitement for the game. I also can’t complain about enjoying the free food.

HC: What would be your advice for potential college athletes?
Ryne: This is a tough one but I would definitely have to go with time management. It is a number one priority when you are an athlete in college. I would also suggest taking a lot of naps to make it through the day.

HC: What are your plans after graduation from Purdue University?
Ryne: I have an extra year here, so maybe graduate school. If not, though, I am going to be searching for a teaching job and also perhaps take up some coaching.

HC: Who is your biggest role model and why?
Ryne: There is no doubt on this one. I would definitely have to say my dad. He is the most mentally tough person I know. He rubbed off on me in that way and is pretty influential not only about basketball but also life in general.

HC: What is something every Boiler should do before they graduate?
Ryne: They should go to breakfast club at least once and at stop by the den for a ‘den pop’.

HC: What is something most people don’t know about you?
Ryne: Well, I’m in the little league baseball hall of fame. I played in the Coopers Town Tournament and hit two homeruns when I was 12 years old.

HC: What would be your ideal girl? Date?
Ryne: I really like a girl that has a good sense of humor, which is number one for sure. I really go for athletic girls and someone who wants to take care of themselves to stay healthy. I also want someone who is genuine and thoughtful. I appreciate when people put others first, and that is a quality that really stands out to me. As for an ideal date, I would have to go with a classic dinner date.

HC: Best memory here at Purdue?
Ryne: I have two favorite memories here at Purdue. The best basketball memory is winning the Big Ten Tournament in 2009 in Indianapolis. As for a non-related basketball memory, going to the Wiz Khalifa concert was pretty cool.

Photo Credit: Ryne Smith

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.