Meet Writer of the Week, Janice Chan!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

With her infectious smile and bubbly personality, it’s no wonder why Janice Chan is a cherished member of the Her Campus family. Get to know more about the fabulous engineering student who moonlights as a journalist!

Hometown?

Phoenix, Arizona

Major/Minors?

I’m majoring in Bioengineering and thinking about getting a minor in Environmental and Ecological Engineering.

Favorite season and why?

Winter, because I love snow and being able to bundle up and get all cozy with fuzzy blankets and socks.

Best food on campus?

If I had to pick a dining court, I would choose Earhart. But if it could be anywhere on campus I would choose Flatbreads. This is one of my favorite places at the Union because I can use my meal swipes and I love the Chicken Cordon Bleu and the Turkey Pesto.

Favorite drink?

Peach Green Tea Lemonade from Starbucks because it makes me feel refreshed.

Celebrity Crush?

I don’t really know a lot of celebrity names because I just remember them by the roles they play, but mine would have to be Austin Butler when he played Sebastian Kydd in The Carrie Diaries. 

The show I’m binging right now is…

Friends, even though I have seen it multiple times, I can’t get over the lives of Rachel, Ross, Monica, Phoebe, Joey, and Chandler.

If I’m not in class, I’m most likely…

Watching T.V. shows or playing games like Stardew Valley or FIFA or eating, sometimes I’ll do all three at the same time.

My favorite person is….

This is really hard to decide because I have so many amazing people in my life that I could not live without. But I think that it would have to be between my parents, my sister, and my boyfriend. They each have different roles in my life and support me in everything.

If my life were a movie I’d want it to be like…

The Lizzie McGuire Movie and go to Rome, even if I’d have to room with a mean girl like Kate.

Best gift I’ve ever received was…

When I was younger all I wanted was a scooter. Then one Christmas that’s exactly what I got, except it wasn’t just any scooter, it was a Bratz scooter. Yep, that’s right I was into Bratz dolls. It came with a sleeve to put my scooter in when I folded it up and everything. I rode it all around the house because I didn’t want it to get dirty outside, until my parents told me I had to ride it outside because there wasn’t enough room in the house.

Best advice I’ve ever received was….

To put down my phone and live in the moment. 

Favorite song?

For some reason, I’ve really been into music that hasn’t played in a while. I don’t know why, but I think it might have to do with car rides and finding throwback music. I’ve really been into I Love It by Icona Pop. It’s a great song to jam out to and I love it! It’s just super catchy!

Something I’ll never forget…

Is when I first moved into my dorm room at Earhart my freshman year. I’ll never forget the feeling that I had after my parents left. It’s kind of weird because I spent so long thinking about and dreaming about going off to college that when it actually happened, I was more terrified and nervous, but also excited for the next chapter in my life.

Favorite trip and why?

This one is definitely one of the hardest questions because each trip that I’ve been on holds a special meaning and has helped shape who I am today. Each place that I’ve been to is so different from one another, but I think the most recent trip to Southeast Asia has been my favorite. It’s the first trip in a while where my parents and siblings and I all got to go together and it really helped us all bond. I also was able to reconnect with my cousins and family overseas who I don’t really see and meet some of the new additions to our family as well.

Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.