A Little Plum for Everyone!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

As fall sets in, it is hard not to get a little excited for the changing leaves, sweatshirt weather, and a brand new fall wardrobe. However, what about new fall beauty favorites?  There is nothing more exciting to me than finding a new beauty product that I have fallen in love with. To get started, I’d love to share my three favorite plum-inspired beauty products!

1. MAC Makeup Eye Shadow in ‘Plum Dressing’ $15
I am more than thrilled to share this with everyone! This beautiful color is flattering on every skin tone and can be easily blended. It’s perfect for day and night. For class, if blended with a cream shadow, it is not too bold, but gives enough color to make your eyes pop.

I suggest putting the plum color in your creases, blending well, and using the cream shadow right below the eyebrows, and in the corners of eye blending towards the plum shadow. As for evening, I suggest adding another dimension of color! Since plum is a darker hue, a dark gray works well. First, add your ivory below eyebrows and in corners of eyes, covering the first half of your lid. Apply your plum in creases and below on second half of lid (furthest from middle of face). Add your favorite gray shadow and add to creases and blend well. This will give you a more dramatic look perfect for the night on the town!

2. MAC Makeup Satin Finish Lipstick in ‘Rebel’ $14.50 
There is nothing I love more than a beautiful lip color. I do not always wear lipstick, but you can ask my friends and they’ll most likely laugh and tell you I always have some form of gloss or color on my lips. Lip color can be the perfect touch to creating a flawless canvas—a.k.a your face! For a night out with the girls, or to make a statement, I suggest MAC lipstick. The satin finish gives a unique texture while remaining opaque. This is what I love most about MAC, because their colors can be easily blended and bold. ‘Rebel’ is a phenomenal shade. I have olive skin, green eyes, and brown hair—which really accentuate those features. If you are ever unsure of a color to try, I suggest a plum hue, because it does work with most skin tones. This color worn plain is a bold and beautiful statement. For an everyday look, I suggest a clear gloss with a slight shimmer!

3. Sally Hansen’s Xtreme Wear Nail Color in ‘Plum Power’ $3.00
I am wearing this in the picture of me holding the lipstick! It is a perfect addition to my “plum collection!” This nail color hardly chips and gives a nice metallic shimmer. It’s a beautiful, dark purple with a really nice sheen. I always have to have my nails painted, because I am not blessed with strong, long nails. Sally Hansen’s ‘Hard as Nails’ line does a great job of making my nails feel stronger, while providing amazing color! This color is definitely one of my favorites!

Look for next week’s blog on a new beauty favorite!

Amanda Norell is a junior at Purdue University where she is working toward a communication degree, supplemented by an art and design minor. A true Midwesterner, Amanda was born in Chicago and raised in northern Indiana, just minutes from the Michigan border. In addition to being Purdue's Campus Correspondent, Amanda is also a junior board member on Liberal Arts Student Council, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, and has both edited and written for The Exponent, Purdue's independent daily student newspaper.  She has held internships in both event planning and career development, and has her sights set on becoming an event and wedding planner after graduation. She cannot get enough of campus in the fall, crepes from Greyhouse, Urban Outfitters, and simply lovin' life.