A (Breakup) Letter to Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Dear Winter, 

While we have had a lot of time together these past three months, I am ready to part ways with you. This past winter feels like it was the roughest of my life. Growing up in Northwest Indiana had me tricked into thinking I had thick skin and was well adjusted to the bitter colds. This past season has made me realize that these thoughts were incorrect. While this winter did not have a heavy accumulation of snow, it seemed to just drag on.

My trips to warmer weather might have made you seem even longer since I had a taste of what shorts weather felt like. Coming back from these vacations was such a shock, going from sand to snow. After returning I would often hibernate in my warm sheets. I cannot wait to move to a region that has no snow and mild winters.

Along with taking warm vacations, you have been teasing with us for weeks. It felt like every week we would get a day that was warm enough for a light jacket before freezing over again. This awful cycle wreaked havoc not only on my closet but also on my immune system. Humans are not used to going from warm weather to thirty degrees and stormy all in a span of one week.

I look forward to when you are gone and the temperature steadily increases, since I am done with this seasonal roller coaster ride.

Sincerely,

A Lover of Spring

Rachael Lowe was born in northern Indiana (the Region) and was raised knowing she would be attending Purdue. As a third generation Boilermaker she is majoring in Agricultural Economics and minoring in Communications. Her passions are traveling, wine, and puppies. In her free time she likes to craft, paint, have a nice glass of moscato, watch movies with friends, and bake. When Rachael graduates in May of 2018 she plans on having as much fun as she did in college. Follow her on Instagram @rachael03
Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.