5 Chick flicks for people who hate chick flicks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

It absolutely breaks my heart when I recommend a movie to someone and they say: “Eww I hate chick flicks.” Okay, hold the phone. Chick flicks are my favorite type of movie. I’ll never get over the popular boy ending up with the nerdy girl, the running through the airport scenes or the love triangles. But I understand how some people can get sick of the meet cutes, the sappy love confessions and the friends who are obviously more than friends but don’t have the guts to say so. I get it. That’s why I’ve compiled a list of six best chick flicks without the annoying overused chick flick tropes.   

Bend it Like Beckham

Bend it Like Beckham stands out to me because the main character is not boy crazy or looking for love in the beginning. Unlike her sister who is smitten with her longtime boyfriend, Jess’s only love is soccer. At least until she meets her handsome soccer coach Joe. Yes, you can see this relationship from a mile away but the genuine friendship between Joe and Jess as well as the the story mostly focusing on Jess pursuing her dreams of playing for a big league, dilutes the romantic plot and makes the story feel more like a coming of age flick.    

Freaky Friday

This is body switching done right. Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan carry this movie flawlessly and the audience actually believes them as a mother and daughter duo because they have so much chemistry together. The movie brings all the laughs when it needs to and all the heart when it needs to. Everyone can find something to relate to in this movie and yes, while there is a love triangle (or love square) of sorts, the situation revolving around the romantic subplot is so hilarious that it doesn’t even get annoying. And Chad Michael Murray is the romantic interest, so really no one can complain about that. 

Easy A

I always recommend Easy A to people for a fun laid back night. Easy A features Emma Stone’s character, an invisible high schooler who yearns to be seen as she get’s tangled up in an intricate rumor about being sexually promiscuous. It’s fun watching her go along with the rumor and even go as far as to wear lingerie to school. Besides the creative premise, this movie stands out because everyone has felt invisible at some point in their lives which resonates with audiences. And the movie teaches a valuable lesson about being yourself despite what people think or say about you. And Penn Badgley is in it and….welll…Penn Badgley. 

Ever After

Probably the movie I consider one of my all-time favorites, Ever After does not have many of the typical qualities seen in chick flicks. The main protagonist, Danielle is more concerned with reading books and helping the people she works with than falling in love. While this Cinderella remake almost guarantees a romance between Danielle and the prince, Henry, it is definitely not love at first site. And when they do begin to fall for each other, the prince falls head-over-heels for her brain, not her looks and this Cinderella definitely has a brain. Plus she punches her step sister in this one, that’s really all you need to know about how awesome this movie is. 

Working Girl

This 80’s flick follows discontent New York City receptionist Tess McGill as she tries to move up the corporate ladder in a very patriarchal world. Tess’s determination to be taken seriously as a business woman instead of simple receptionist is inspiring for any college woman and she will definitely motivate you to do better as well. While the movie does follow her relationship with Harrison Ford’s character (featuring a moderate meet cute), it mostly focuses on her learning the ins and outs of business and getting better at her job, something not seen very often in modern chick flicks. 

Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.