10 reasons why it’s never too early to get ready for Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

You’ve spent the entire months of September and October getting ready for Halloween, but now it’s over. You need something to fill the void and distract you from your homework, right? Since Christmas is right around the corner, the only plausible idea is to spend the next two months obsessing over the greatest holiday of the year. Even though a lot of people complain that you’re skipping over Thanksgiving, you’re really just enhancing it with some holiday cheer. Here are 10 reasons why it’s okay to get into the holiday spirit in November.  

1. Getting all your Christmas shopping done early 

Why not start your holiday shopping once the stores start advertising their sales in early November? It’s more convenient because you have more time to plan when and where to go. Nothing beats Black Friday deals, but by starting earlier you don’t have to deal with the holiday rush. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather have all my shopping done early, than be trampled by crazy shoppers and fighting with them over everything on my list.

2. You can keep your decoration for the entire season

Everything about Christmas decorations just screams holiday-cheer-out-the-rear. The pretty lights, the trees, the ornaments, the nativity scene, and the smell of Christmas cookies, all combine to make this time of year, the best time of year. What’s better than Christmas decorations during December? Christmas decorations during Thanksgiving.

3. There’s so many Christmas movies to watch

Yes, ABC Family starts their Christmas movie marathon in December, but there’s way more than just 25 Christmas movies! There are the originals, like “A Christmas Story” and “It’s a Wonderful Life,” but don’t forget about the other hilarious and more modern Christmas flicks. Who doesn’t enjoy watching ‘The Kranks” or “Elf?” If you didn’t start watching them early, you might never finish all the classics.

4. Mistletoe Kisses

Mistletoe is a given for Christmas. It’s the only time a year that makes everyone more kissable. Show your family, friends and definitely your SO some love by kissing them under the mistletoe. Fun Fact: Mistletoe is actually considered a parasite to trees and absorbs its nutrients. I wonder how the kissing tradition came to be?

5. Hot chocolate

The best time of the year to drink hot chocolate is when the weather gets cold, so of course its associated with Christmas. Next time you’re dying for something to drink, stop by Starbucks and pick up their classic peppermint hot cocoa. Plus, you can relieve some stress by sitting on the couch with a cup of homemade hot chocolate while watching your favorite Christmas movie. Isn’t the saying, “a hot chocolate a day, keeps the doctor away?”

6. More Christmas Parties

Because finals are the first couple weeks of December, you don’t have much time to do anything other than study and take tests. This leaves no time to plan a party of your own before Christmas, so the only solution is to host one early. Send out your invitations and throw on your ugly sweaters! Hopefully all your fellow party-hosters will follow your lead.

7. Christmas music

Christmas music is special because you kind of get sick of it in January, but miss it by the time November comes around. Don’t make yourself miserable by waiting for the radio to start playing your favorite tunes. Turn on your Pandora Christmas Music station and listen until your ears bleed! Plus, if you’ve been practicing Mariah Carrey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” since the beginning of November, you’ll be sure to win every sing-off against all your friends.

8. DIY

Christmas time is DIY time! From presents, to decorations, to food, there’s no limitations. You can always rely on Pinterest for some amazing inspiration too.

9. More time to volunteer

The time of giving is upon us. Nothing gives you a feeling of fulfillment like donating your time and money to charity. When you start looking for ways to give back in November, you never run out of opportunities to volunteer. If you don’t have the extra money to donate presents or clothes, stop by your local soup kitchen to serve up something warm to those in need.

10. Because you can

Don’t let those negative Nancys ruin your Christmas spirit just because they want to wait until after Thanksgiving to celebrate. Remember, you can celebrate the Christmas holiday how and when you want!

So, collegiettes, do you celebrate Christmas early?

As a sophomore at Purdue University, Abi is pursing a psychology degree with a concentration in I/O Psychology. On campus, she is a writer for Her Campus Purdue, an active member of Zeta Tau Alpha, and the secretary for the Odin Finance Club. When she isn't spending time with her sisters or doing homework, you'll probably catch her binge-watching The Office or Parks and Recreation on Netflix, working the night-shift at First Street Towers, or obsessing over the latest fashion trends. Find her on Twitter and Instagram at @abicheerleader!
Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.