The Year In Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The school year here at Penn State has been nothing short of chaotic, and in just a few short weeks, it will be left behind, like all the school years before it. While this year may have not been the most ideal, if any blessing will come out of it, it’s that the adversity we as a community were forced to go through made us stronger, smarter, and more aware. Together, we were shocked, we were angry, and now, we are healing. So what exactly were the most pivotal parts of this year? We sat down and reviewed the top six most memorable moments:

Moment 1: Saturday, Oct. 9, 2011- Coach Joe Paterno makes NCAA history with his 409 win as Penn State’s head football coach. The Nittany Lions defeated Illinois 10-7.

Moment 2: November 2011- Sara Ganim and The Patriot News break the story that former Penn State football defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky, was indicted with 40 charges of sex crimes.

Moment 3: November 2011- John P. Surma, vice chairman of the Board of Trustees, announces the firing of Joe Paterno and University president, Graham Spanier, effective immediately

Moment 4: November 2011- Thousands of students flood downtown State College and begin rioting in reaction to the firing of their beloved coach. The riots quickly turn violent, with the turning over of a news van and a light pole.

Moment 5: January 22, 2012- Coach Joe Paterno passes away due to health complications from lung cancer. He is survived by wife, Sue, his family, and the entire Penn State community, who mourn the loss of a legend and an icon.

Moment 6: February 17-19, 2012-706 dancers danced for 46 hours in the Bryce Jordan Center to raise money for a cure for pediatric cancer.  2012 marked the 40th anniversary of THON and THON 2012 raised $10,686,924.83 FTK.