Why ‘Closer’ Will Be The Song Of The Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

“Hey, I was doing just fine before I met you. I drink too much and that’s an issue. But I’m Okay.” Ah yes, some of the most defining lyrics of the century – right up there with John Lennon’s “Imagine.” While I think we can all agree that “Closer” by The Chainsmokers isn’t quite “My Heart Will Go On,” it’s probably one of the most popular songs for our generation right now.

The first time I heard this popular jam, I was in the Penn State Men’s Hockey house. As I was hanging out, “Closer” boomed from the speakers, and one of the girls I was with said, “Oh my god, I love this song!” Little did I know, this song would become the song of the year here at Penn State. It wasn’t until mid-way into sylly week that I finally added “Closer” to my Spotify playlist. Since then, I’ve listened to it while doing homework, getting dressed to go out and walking to class.

I was probably naïve in thinking that after sylly week, the song would be forgotten and I would only hear it every once in a while. It was actually the complete opposite. Closer was played at every event, club fair and sorority orientation I attended. I just couldn’t escape it. Even now, my roommate is obsessed with the song. We always have to play it before we go out, go to an important event and even before we take a big exam. It has become one of the many things we will always remember about our freshman year.

At first, I thought “Closer” was just a Penn State thing. But it seems that at all of my friend’s schools and other schools across the nation, “Closer” is also taking over their sweaty frat basements and packed apartment parties. Just when I thought “Closer” had finally seen its heyday, I saw videos and memes on Twitter with humorous takes on the lyrics and people dancing in bear costumes – yes, bear costumes.

You might think that I’m mad about “Closer” living on, but it’s actually the exact opposite. I know it may sound cheesy, but I think it’s one of those songs that will always unify Penn State students. It must’ve been played at least four times at the game against Kent State, and every student around me knew all of the words. Besides “Sweet Caroline,” what songs will 18 and 19 year olds know every word to collectively? I will always relate “Closer” to some of my happiest moments and some of my most horrendous nights at Penn State so far. I hope it’s around to stay, at least until The Chainsmokers come out with another hit.

Brittany Krugel is a student at Penn State. She is majoring in broadcast journalism in the College of Communications. She is a member of the Phi Mu Sorority at Penn State. She one day hopes to work for CNN or ABC as a broadcast journalist. When she's not tweeting about mac& cheese and Hillary Clinton, she enjoys netflix binges, listening to Kanye West, and going to Penn State Football games.
Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope