Triota President: Sarah Beechay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The election results have brought about a lot of mixed emotions, especially on Penn State’s campus. With the recent Not My President protests and walkouts, we wanted to talk to the President of Triota – a feminist organization that is working to ensure women can maintain their rights and safety under a Trump administration.

HC: Can you describe your reactions to the results of the presidential election? 

SB: I reacted to the results very strongly. Watching the results of the polls rolling in started out as a fun night with my roommate and we were excited to see what we thought would be the first woman president winning the election. However, as the map started to turn red and the situation became more troubling, we both got very quiet. Tears were rolling down my cheeks but I couldn’t turn the tv off; it was like watching a train wreck, I couldn’t look away but I didn’t want to see what was happening.  I still carry that pain with me daily, but I’ve tried to prioritize my own wellbeing above everything else. I’ve limited my Facebook use and avoided confrontations with people who don’t understand my fears, simply to prevent myself from getting too worked up again. I don’t think I’ll ever “get over it” but I know what I need to do to take care of myself during this difficult time. 

HC: What advice would you give to young women who fear losing reproductive rights and health care coverage under a Trump administration? 

SB: This is a really tough question, because every woman is going to be effected differently by Trump’s plans to change or repeal Obamacare. What I would suggest at this point is twofold. First, educate yourself about what your coverage looks like now and what could potentially change in the future. Second, take advantage of your coverage now. If that means getting an IUD to guarantee yourself long-term birth control, or simply consulting with a doctor to see what steps you can take next, I say go for it.  Another suggestion that I have, which may be difficult for students on a budget but may save someone in the future, is to purchase Plan B now. With the uncertainty surrounding birth control and abortion rights, it can’t hurt to have a backup plan in case things don’t go according to your plans for the future.  Finally, I suggest getting involved in activist organizations that are working to protect and expand our rights to control our own bodies. The organization which I am president of, Triota, is always looking to take on projects that support reproductive rights. There is also a chapter of Planned Parenthood Generation Action here on campus that would love new members to join in their activism efforts.

HC: What advice would you give to women who are looking to make a difference? 

SB: Join an organization whose goals align with your own! Triota is a feminist organization that tackles many different issues of gender equality from an intersectional perspective, and Planned Parenthood Generation Action is doing amazing work to rally around the goal of protecting and expanding reproductive rights. These are only two examples – our campus is full of people just like you who really want to make a difference! You can also do things in your everyday life that can make a huge impact. Pay attention to your surroundings and intervene when you see something that makes you uncomfortable. If the situation seems unsafe or you’re uncomfortable intervening alone, grab a friend to help or call the police.

HC:  What do you think about the protests organized on campus following the election? 

SB: I think that the protests on our campus were handled perfectly, especially the “Not My President” walk out protest. It was really empowering to see so many students, faculty, and community members come together to share our thoughts and feelings and demonstrate that this isn’t the end of the road for us. I hope that we can continue this momentum in the weeks, months, and years to come to make positive change in spite of the terrible circumstances we’ve been given.

HC: What do you hope to see for women in the future? 

SB: In a really general sense, my goal is obviously complete gender equality. I’m dedicating my life to the fight for gender equality and I hope to see us at least come close in my lifetime. In terms of specific goals, I’m really hoping that our right to control our own bodies will be solidified in a legal sense. Affordable and accessible birth control, affordable and accessible abortion, ending sexual assault, and ending domestic violence all fall under that category. I’d also like to see more gender equality in education and in the workplace. Young girls should be encouraged and assisted in pursuing whatever career they’d like, and when they get there, they should be afforded all the same opportunities and compensation as their male counterparts. Above all, I’d like to see women empowering other women. We all need to work together to make the biggest possible impact!

Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope
Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.