This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Name: Tony Black    

Year: Senior

Hometown: San Mateo, California

Major: Communications

Twitter: @Calisteeez

IG: Calisteeez1

Since the first few weeks of being back at State are already coming to an end, we’re pretty sure that everyone has already exhausted their pregame playlist. We decided that it was the perfect time to catch up with Penn State rapper Tony Black about his music career – and for a new song to party to, of course.

HC: So when did your interest in the rap world all start?

TB: I’ve always been interested in the rap world, especially because I have family that is very involved in the music industry. I never saw myself being an artist until my senior year of high school when I started to write poetry; it gradually just converted into rap. My dad saw something in me and told me to keep it going, and now I’m here.

HC: Who is your current favorite artist/anyone in the music industry you admire?

TB: Funny you say that because I don’t listen to rap that often, which is weird, I know. But I feel like when I do listen to rap, a lot of my lyrics that I write start sounding like something I have previously heard. My favorite artist off the top would have to be Sam Smith. The man’s voice is butter and his songs are incredibly written. Other rappers that I enjoy listening to are The Neighbourhood, Childish Gambino, Andre 3000, Drake, G-Eazy and KYLE.

HC: Are you a Queen Bey fan? You gotta admit she killed it at the VMAs this year.

TB: I actually never saw the VMAs this year… *immediately loses fans that are die hard Beyoncé followers*.  But yes, I’m a big fan of the Queen. She is an international icon and, as an artist, I strive to be as known to the world as she is.

HC: When/where do the best lyrics usually come to you?

TB: My best lyrics come very sporadically, to be honest. There are times where I will go a month or two without writing anything, and then I’ll come back and be able to write like 7 songs in 3 days. My mind is really weird like that. I’m also very much a perfectionist when it comes to my work, so things will be written and then rewritten, to make sure it’s the “dopest dope.”

HC: So you’re from the West Coast, yet you attend Penn State. Which side of the states do you like the most?

TB: West Coast for sure. I love Penn State so much but these winters are quite absurd, and the humidity in the summer is like your constantly living in a sauna. Especially when you live in a frat house with 45 guys (shout out to Sig Ep). The West Coast has perfect temperatures year round, but Penn State is so much fun, and I’ve made so many friends here that it makes it hard to leave.

HC: Who’s the best performer you’ve ever seen live?

TB: Hardwell. If you don’t listen to EDM music, he’s a DJ. It was spring semester 2014 and he performed at Penn State. “SO DOPE.” I was in another world the entire time and it was just so crazy. Also, The Neighbourhood had a concert in San Francisco and they are one of my favorites; just so many good vibes.

HC: What are your goals for your music this year and beyond?

TB: College tour! I’ve been talking about going on a college tour since I was a freshman and I’m now a senior. I feel like I have the right songs to do it; an East Coast tour and then make to the West Coast.  Mainly I just want to get my name out there and become known. The ultimate goal is to become a household name by the time I’m 25 and I’m 21 now, so these next 4 years are crunch time for me.

HC: Do you have any upcoming performances at Penn State that people should know about?

TB: As of now, I don’t have anything planned because I’m super focused on putting out my new single called “Pass Me My Drink.” Although I’m really looking forward to figuring out some local shows during the year, and would love to perform at THON again.

Check out Tony Black’s new single “Pass Me My Drink”  for a free listen and download.

You can definitely pass us our drink anytime, Tony. 

Chellsy Costello is currently a senior at Penn State University majoring in Public Relations/Advertising and minoring in Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management. In her free time, she loves finding new artists to listen to, watching football, trying new recipes in the kitchen, and finding time to hit the gym. Her current and past experiences include Wenner Media, Press Here Publicity, The Nittany Lion Club, Varsity 'S' Club, Valley Magazine, and Happy Valley Communications. She hopes to land her dream job in New York City or another major city after graduation and someday hopes to travel as much as she can.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.