#Throwback: The 20 Best Disney Channel Original Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This week we are throwin’ it back to the good ol’ days when your Friday nights revolved around watching the newest DCOM. Those were the days.  I guarantee if you go back and watch your favorite DCOM, you will cringe at the bad acting and feel bad for forcing your parents to endure the strange (yet still awesome) plotlines of most of these movies.

Here is a list of the 20 best DCOMs…I use the term “best” lightly.

20. Don’t Look Under the Bed

I don’t know about anyone else, but this movie scared the sh*t out of me as a child. Pretty sure I watched it once and vowed to never do so again.

19. Quints

Let’s be honest, this plot line was super weird and the main girl, Jamie, was incredibly annoying; but, that didn’t stop me from watching it repeatedly when I was eight.

18. Camp Rock

This movie came out around the time I was getting over my Disney Channel phase (R.I.P.), but it definitely makes the list because of the Jonas Brothers… and let’s not forget their straightened hair.

17. Eddie’s Million Dollar Cook-Off

Classic: Eddie loves to cook, but is embarrassed to tell his friends. There’s also a VIP guest appearance by Bobbly Flay, so there’s that.

16. Up, Up, and Away

A family of superheroes whose weakness was aluminum foil?  It doesn’t get much better than that.

15. Full-Court Miracle

Who doesn’t love a good-spirited sports film? Especially one that involves Jewish basketball players?

14. Pixel Perfect

Disney hottie Ricky Ullman (Phil of the Future) constructs a hologram to sing for his band. Because, DUH! Who needs humans when you have holograms?

13. Brink!

Team “Soul-Skaters” forever.  Am I right?

12. Motocrossed

This movie is the ultimate showcase of GIRL POWER. Andrea pretends to be her brother and kicks major butt at the motocross competition. Apparently, it’s based on Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night”… LOL, okay Disney.

11. Gotta Kick It Up!

All I have to say is, “sí se puede!”

10. Cadet Kelly

Hilary Duff interpretive dances and it is ON POINT.

9. Johnny Tsunami

It’s a 90s classic that involves a private school vs. public school showdown on the slopes?  Okay.

8. Get a Clue

Lindsay Lohan. That is all. (Also, was anyone else super envious of her and Brenda Song video-chatting their outfits before school to each other? SO HIP.)

7. The Even Stevens Movie

We all know Beans was the real MVP.

6. High School Musical

This cult classic had to make the list. I mean, my fifth grade self was OBSESSED with Zac Efron. He was just so soulful when singing “Breaking Free”. I feel you, Troy Bolton.

5. The Luck of the Irish

Where do I even start? There’s basketball, evil leprechauns, and an Irish showdown. This movie was EVERYTHING.

4. Smart House

Everyone wanted (and still does, of course) the house in this movie…minus when it turned into a giant, angry hologram of a 50s housewife.  That was just a little weird.

3. The Cheetah Girls

Their performance at the end wearing matching velour track suits was VERY IMPORTANT.

2. Zenon

Protozoa’s hair. Bye.

1. Halloweentown

Maybe the excessive amount of sequels that occurred after the original were unnecessary, but this is easily the best DCOM of all time, for sure.

#TBT  #NEVERFORGET  #RIPREALDCOMS

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.