THON Entertainment Captain Amanda Duko

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

A senior majoring in Finance, Amanda has been extensively involved with THON since her freshman year. Learn about Amanda’s duties as an Entertainment Captain, and how she feels about finishing her last THON as a student this year.

How have you been involved with THON during your time at Penn State? 

I was on a Morale/Dancer Relations Committee for both my freshman and sophomore years and became a Dancer Relations Captain my junior year. This year as a senior, I was an Entertainment Captain.

Can you tell us a little bit about your role as an Entertainment Captain this year? 

As one of the Floor Entertainment Captains for THON 2017, it was my job to bring interactive acts and characters to entertain dancers and Four Diamond families on the floor. As I already possessed a great deal of dancer and floor knowledge from my past experiences, I felt this would make a great transition to round out my THON involvement! Along with my Co-Captain, I auditioned, selected, and contracted the acts we wanted to perform on the floor. Some of our acts included movie characters from Star Wars and Disney princess films, a step aerobics class, and acapella groups.

What was your favorite part of THON 2017? 

My favorite part about THON 2017 was bringing the Disney princess characters to the family lounge after their appearance on the floor. It was my first time in the family lounge, and I was very excited to see a different perspective of THON that is not always available to many volunteers. The kids in the family lounge were absolutely mesmerized by the princesses and had the best time playing and singing with them in a one-on-one setting. It was so special to see the smiles on all the faces of the Four Diamonds families, and it truly reminded me of THON’s powerful ability to bring about joy in difficult times. It was a memory I will never forget!

If you had to give any advice to an incoming freshman in regards to THON, what would you say? 

The best advice I can give an incoming freshman in regards to THON, or any aspect of college life, is to not be afraid. The multiple avenues of THON involvement can be overwhelming to those who may not be familiar with the philanthropy, so do your best to get as much information as possible from involvement fairs, upperclassmen, and even alumni. Remember there is no right or wrong way to get involved so simply find the best fit for you, put yourself out there, and be open to new experiences. It won’t be long until you experience the magic of THON and the way it creates an indescribable community for volunteers and families.

What are you going to miss most about Penn State when you graduate in May? 

When I graduate, I will miss being surrounded by my friends at all hours of the day the most! My (many) roommates and I always have a good time no matter what we’re doing and not being able to see them as often will definitely be a huge change. However, I know we’ll make the most of our last months together!

Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope