THON 2013 PR Overall, Cat Powers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Name: Cat Powers
Major: Public Relations
Hometown: Avalon, NJ
Year: Senior

THON is less than 150 days away!

Meet Cat Powers, a senior majoring in public relations. Not only is she the THON 2013 Public Relations Overall Chairperson, but Cat is also involved in Alpha Chi Omega, Lion Ambassadors and is a Sports Information Student Assistant for Penn State Athletic Communications. 

HC: What’s your THON history?

Cat: My freshman year, for THON 2010, I joined Alpha Chi Omega and fundraised for Alpha Chi Omega and Pi Kappa Phi. My sophomore year, for THON 2011, I became a Committee Member for the Public Relations Events Management Committee. My junior year, for THON 2012, I was the Local Broadcast Media Relations Captain for Public Relations. My senior year, I am the Public Relations Overall Chairperson for THON 2013.

HC: Can you describe a day in your life as the PR Overall? What are your responsibilities?

Cat: My responsibilities as the PR Overall involve leading my 21 Public Relations Captains, communicating with the media, pitching to national media, writing press documents, overseeing our social media accounts, collaborating with my fellow Overall Committee Members, answering emails and appearing at various THON workshops and events. However, each day is different and I am constantly working on new exciting projects for THON.

HC: Why do you THON?

Cat: I THON for a bright future. With the opening of the new Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital and the recent ranking by U.S. News & World Report of the Children’s Hospital in pediatric oncology, there are so many innovations to look forward to as we inch closer to a cure. Each Four Diamonds family I have encountered has made my passion for the cause grow due to their strength and incredibly positive attitudes. They drive me to do all that I can to continue advancing these innovations to end pediatric cancer.

HC: What does FTK mean to you?

Cat: FTK means that the children and families are the driving force in our every action. THON’s greatest success is the emotional support we provide for Four Diamonds families. These children and families are among the strongest you will ever meet and they are a constant inspiration as we fight to put an end to pediatric cancer.

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.