Taylor Mitcham: Founder of Simple Car Wash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Year:  Senior

Major:  Mining Engineering

Hometown:  Los Angeles, CA

HC: You don’t hear about too many college students starting their own business before they graduate, what inspired you to take on such an endeavor?  

TM: Well, I had the right resources and right people around me for support. I also realized that I have nothing to lose because no one depends on me for monetary support…i.e. no kids. Haha.  

HC: What would you say your biggest challenge has been thus far?  

TM: My biggest challenge has been getting people to believe in waterless car wash product and process. There are a lot of misconceptions about it, like that it will scratch your car or that it doesn’t get it as clean as a traditional wash, but this is just not true.  

HC: What’s one goal you hope to accomplish for the future?  

TM: Get my MBA and start another. 

HC: We hear you’re a Rules and Regulations Captain for THON 2015 – How do you manage to balance your school life, THON involvement and owning your own business?  

TM: I keep a color-coded Google calendar and keep my priorities in check with school being #1. I also have some staff members that help with the basic logistics of the business. 

HC: Can you tell us more about your 1 for 100 Donation Program?  

TM: A typical car wash wastes between 30-100 gallons of water.  For every 100 gallons of water we save, we are donating $1 to a local charity.  

HC: What would you say to other students hoping to start their own business one day?  

TM: There’s no time like the present. While you’re a student, you really don’t have much to lose. There are also a lot of free resources available to you as a student like the Small Business Development Center. 

HC: Anything else you’d like us to know about Simple Car Wash?  

TM: Nothing in particular…

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.