This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The Skin Stigma: When Did Being Pale Become Such A Bad Thing?

From the unpredictable snowstorms to the bone-chilling winds, winter weather can be less than pleasant, especially here in State College, and with the declining temperatures comes dry hands, chapped lips, and itchy red noses. Yet among all the beauty complications met during these winter months none seem to be as dreaded by the female population as the paling of their precious tans. Despite the fact that the fading of our skin tone is a perfectly natural process, many young girls (and some guys) of our day and age seem to view it as socially unacceptable.

Though attitudes regarding skin tone dramatically vary on a worldly basis, the belief that tan skin is a sign of true beauty can most certainly be pegged as an American ideal in our modern era. With bronzing lotions and self-tanners occupying their very own sections of beauty aisles across the country, it is no secret that achieving a golden complexion has become a natural step in the beauty regimes of many young women in today’s society.

Knowing someone who has been affected by skin cancer I will be the first to tell you how important sunscreen is or why a tanning bed isn’t worth the risk, but that is not my purpose in writing this article. What I’m interested in is trying to understand why pale skin has undergone a societal transformation from “porcelain” to “pasty”. From the ancient Egyptians to the days of Marilyn Monroe, pale skin was seen by many men and women as a symbol of beauty. It signified wealth as tan skin signified laborers and those who had to work long hours outside for a living. 

With a history such as this why is it that those of us today with fairer complexions are ashamed of our natural color and only crave the return of our summer tans? It’s an unfortunate truth that young girls today are spending massive amounts of money while simultaneously putting themselves at risk of multiple health hazards simply to look a certain way – the way they feel will be admired by others. Don’t get me wrong – I’m just as guilty as the next girl of slathering on some Jergen’s Natural Glow every now and then, but as the orange circles begin to form around my wrists and ankles from my less than perfect applying techniques, I begin to ask myself if it’s really all worth it. So I’ll never achieve J. Lo’s Puerto Rican glow, but what’s so wrong with that? I’m perfectly fine with my pasty Polish skin because no matter how socially taboo it may be, it’s my skin. It is a symbol of who I am and where I come from and that’s something we should all learn to embrace. So whether you’re white, bronze, black or albino I say it’s time to embrace what you’ve been given, and stop trying to fit the mold that society has formed for us. Confidence is beauty. So hold your head high, rock what you’ve got and make no apologies. Besides, being one hundred percent natural is one beauty trend that will never go out of style.

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.
Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.