Sister of Phi Sigma Sigma Amanda Grinnell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Penn State’s newest sorority Phi Sigma Sigma has decided to join the Student Pink Zone Organization in the fight against breast cancer. Though their signature philanthropy is education, the girls of Phi Sig have found great empathy in the fight for breast cancer and stand by women from all over the nation on their road to victory. We had the chance to sit down with one of the members of Phi Sig and learn more about their newest partnership:

HC: So we know Phi Sigma Sigma just became a recognized sorority at Penn State this past fall. What inspired you to join, and how have things been going so far? 

AG: When I initially decided to rush Phi Sigma Sigma, I felt slightly awkward since I was already a junior in college. However, I decided to push through to the end, and I’m so incredibly happy that I did. Not only did I meet plenty of other juniors, but I also found my best friends. I am happy that I joined Phi Sig; it has been nothing but a great experience!

HC: How did Phi Sigma Sigma become involved with Pink Zone? 

AG: When we had our bid acceptance day we got to meet the most fabulous woman ever – Mimi Barash! Mimi was a Phi Sigma Sigma and is an honorary member of the Pink Zone!

HC: We all know there are many worthy causes available to support at Penn State. What made you choose Pink Zone?

AG: When we sat down as a chapter to discuss what committees and groups we would include at our chapter here at Penn State, we included the Pink Zone not only because of the fabulous Mimi Barash, but also because it is an incredible cause that our sisters want to assist with.

HC: In what ways has Phi Sigma Sigma offered their support thus far?

AG: Our Pink Zone Chair Sarina has done an incredible job integrating the Pink Zone into Phi Sigma Sigma. She is always informing the sisters of upcoming events and reaches out to us to volunteer! We have sisters at almost every event for the Pink Zone, including the basketball games and gymnastics meets. This upcoming weekend, a few of my sisters and I are volunteering for the Pink Zone Lacrosse Game, and we are super excited to do as much as we can. 

HC: Can you tell us more about the mile run coming up this weekend?

AG: The Morgan Stanley Pink Zone 1-Mile Run will be held this Sunday starting at 11 a.m. at the Pegula Ice Arena. At the run, we are having a bake sale to raise money for the cure. 100% of our proceeds will go to the Student Pink Zone Organization to help local breast cancer patients. As a sisterhood, we will continue to support the Student Pink Zone Organization and their efforts. We hope to make a lasting bond that will continue throughout Penn State history.

HC: How can our readers get involved?

AG: It is super easy to get involved with the Pink Zone! I would recommend just reaching out the organization directly. As far as joining Phi Sigma Sigma, we would love to see everyone at recruitment in the fall of 2015! 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.