wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Year: Senior

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Minor:  Engineering Entrepreneurship

Hometown: Cranberry Township, PA

Relationship Status: Single

HC: So you’re the treasurer for Penn State’s Cooking and Baking Club. What made you choose to get involved in that club specifically?

RM: It actually started my sophomore year when a buddy and I wanted to start a cooking club. We ended up learning about the “Gastronomy Club,” which was a club dedicated to the art of eating good food. We talked to them about what we wanted to do with the club, tried out a cooking event at the end of the semester (which was a huge success) and quickly developed the club into what it is today – including a name change so more people knew what we were about.

HC: What’s the funniest or scariest thing that has happened to you while in the kitchen?

RM: We’ve been fortunate enough thus far, so the scariest things to happen have only involved a few people not properly holding a knife. Picking a single funny moment would be difficult, since most of the laughs occur while everyone is cooking and joking back-and-forth. It may not be “laugh out loud” funny, but we recently tried a random recipe without testing it that used WAY too much sugar in the icing. What started off as being a half decent chocolate fudge brownie turned into an overly sweet mess by the time we were done.

HC: What’s your best food-related pick-up line?

RM: After a little searching, my two favorites are:

“Do you like raisins?  How about a date?”

“Let’s do breakfast tomorrow. Should I call you or nudge you?”

HC: What are three qualities you find appealing in a woman? Is knowledge in the kitchen one of them?

RM: The old adage, “the best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” is definitely true for me. If a woman can hold her own in the kitchen, she is already on the right track. I also look for a woman who is quite adventurous, so she can join me in what I like to do – from snowboarding to white water kayaking, camping trips to Euro trips – and keep up with me. The third quality I find extremely appealing is knowledge. I want to be able to learn about and discuss a variety of topics during those late-night conversations or discussions over tea.

HC: What are three qualities you don’t find appealing in a woman?

RM: A girl that can’t do her own thing. The time we spend apart develop a relationship just as much as the time we spend together. Inability to catch sarcasm. I speak a lot of sarcasm, so I need a girl who can throw it right back at me without batting an eye. Finally, a girl without dreams and aspirations. I want to know what you want to do with your life and support you as you reach your goals – even if it’s just wanting to go sky diving next summer.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about Penn State?

RM: The sense of family. There aren’t many places where you’re surrounded by thousands of people who support each other through anything with no strings attached. Everyone willing to help one another creates a sense of community. This feeling has transformed State College from being just my school into being my home. 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.