Rachael David

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Our final profile for the semester is the girl who does it all. Our CC for the past two years, Rachael David, has officially become a Penn State graduate. From serving on the executive board of Penn State PRSSA to volunteering for the Penn State Dance Marathon the past four years, she’s had quite the career at this university, and she has a lot to say about it.

HC: What have you been involved with at Penn State? 

RD: I’ve been involved in quite a bit, but I’ll give you a brief lowdown. I’ve been a member of PSNtv, Ad Club, Ed2010, EPO and various THON committees, but the organizations I’ve devoted the most time to have been Penn State PRSSA and Her Campus at Penn State, of course. I’ve also worked for the university as both a social media intern for the Undergraduate Admissions Office and a PR intern for the Schreyer Honors College and served as the student representative for the Ad/PR Alumni Board for two years.

HC: What has been the biggest influence on your college career? 

RD: There have been many different things that have made an impact on my time at Penn State, but the people who have been the largest influence would have to be my roommates. I’ve been best friends with the same group of girls since freshman year, and we have been with each other through every twist and turn of college. Their love and support through every obstacle I’ve faced has been incredibly helpful, and they’ve made me the happy, healthy individual I am today.

HC: Out of all the activities you’ve participated in, which has been the most monumental in your college career? 

RD: As someone who has been involved for all four years, I’d have to say THON. It’s unlike any other organization you can get involved with and with each meeting or fundraising event or activity that you attend, you can see and feel the impact you’re making. It’s so uniquely Penn State and we have so much pride in what we do that it’s hard not to fall in love on that floor in the Bryce Jordan Center every year.

HC: What is one memory that will forever stick with you at Penn State? 

RD: It’s very hard to narrow it down to one memory but most of my fondest have been surrounding football weekends. I’ve been coming to tailgates since I was five years old, but I will never get tired of waking up at 7 a.m. to have a drink and gorge on endless buffets with my favorite people before cheering on our favorite team. I was always the first one up on game day making noise and waking up my roommates, and I’m not sure that’ll ever change.

HC: What has been one piece of advice that has stuck with you during your college career? 

RD: Balance. My mom says it to me all the time, and despite the fact that I choose to ignore her most days, it’s a lesson I think all hardworking college students need. Work hard, play hard has always been my life motto, but there have been many times where I’ve forgotten about the play hard. It’s easy to get swept up in your work around here, but the times you spend fooling around with your friends are what you’ll remember most.   

HC: What are you going to miss most about State College? 

RD: I’ve been asked this so many times and every time I think of something different, but overall, I’d have to say the sense of community around here. So many of us are dealing with the same struggles just trying to figure out what we want to do with the rest of our lives and how we’re going to get there. It’s so easy making friends because you find people that have so much in common with you. Everyone supports each other, and it creates this feeling of belonging that you just can’t get anywhere else.

HC: What’s a piece of advice you can give the freshmen coming into college? 

RD: After I get done telling them how extremely jealous I am, I’d probably tell them to work really hard but also prioritize their happiness. Find the things that combine your passions with real opportunities to learn and grow. Don’t ever feel ashamed to be a freshman and eat lots of Berkey Creamery ice cream – you’ll never be as close as East Halls.

HC: What is a piece of advice you can give to juniors about to be seniors? 

RD: Do not freak out about finding a job next year. Depending on your major, it’s going to be easier for some than for others but graduating without a job does not mean you are a failure. Set aside time to figure out what you want to do and where you want to go, make connections, start applying and then be patient. Whatever you do, do not waste your final moments of college worrying about what’s next. Appreciate every second you have in Happy Valley.

HC: What’s something you wish you could have told your freshman self? 

RD: Probably that college was going to change me. That I was not going to be the same person going in as I am going out, but that it’s not a bad thing. I’ve learned more about myself these past few years than I ever have before, and it’s exciting figuring out who you want to be and where you want to go. Just trust the path and enjoy the ride. 

Best of luck with your future endeavors, Rachael. We’ll miss you!

Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.