Profile: Nikki Williamson of CHAARG

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

When Nikki Williamson, a kinesiology major from Philadelphia, Pa. came to Penn State three years ago, she wouldn’t have guessed just how important CHAARG (Changing Health, Attitudes and Actions to Recreate Girls) would become during her time in State College. After returning from the club’s national retreat to serve as Vice President of Membership, Nikki reflects on how CHAARG has not only helped her find her passion, but also empowered her to be the best version of herself.

HC: Could you briefly explain what CHAARG is and how it strives to “liberate girls from the elliptical?”

NW: CHAARG is a nationwide all girls fitness and health org dedicated to empowering women to find their fit! Partnering with local studios and instructors, CHAARG offers a wide variety of fitness classes, meet-ups where girls can bond, laugh and sweat. CHAARG revolves around community. By connecting girls of all fitness levels, CHAARG helps members learn that fitness is not about perfection – it is about striving to be a better you and having lots of fun while making tons of friends along the way.

HC: What does CHAARG mean to you?

NW: To me, CHAARG means teamwork, family and support. I played on my high school tennis team for all four years, but I have never left as connected or as part of a community as I do with CHAARG. CHAARG makes me feel like I matter – like I am important, loved and looked up to. CHAARG revolutionized my life, allowing me to get out of my shell, stand up for myself, and just be goofy. Girls nationwide who I have never even met before continuously tell me how proud they are of me and my hard work; they push me to keep working towards my goals. CHAARG is my tribe!

HC: Last weekend, you attended the annual National CHAARG retreat where girls from chapters across the country came together. What was the best part of the weekend?

NW: The best part of the retreat was hearing each girl’s story. We did an exercise where we said what we were before and what we are now. I, for example, said I was closed off and now am loud and proud. The exercise humanized all the girls and made me connect with each and every one of them. It made us feel like one unit, instead of just 42 girls from across the nation. I am already planning to visit some of the OSU girls!

HC: What is the most important thing you’ve learned through your involvement with CHAARG?

NW: You cannot let obstacles stand in the way of your dreams. You define your own success. You can’t let your personal doubts or the doubts of others stop you. Make measurable goals, break stereotypes, and prove that no one else can tell you what you are capable of. You must do your own personal best and not compare yourself to another else.

HC: If you only had one sentence to give one piece of advice to every girl on campus, what would it be?

NW: It would be my life motto, “The you you are today does not determine the you you are tomorrow.” So many girls feel “stuck” in a rut, but I want girls to realize that they can start fresh at any time; no need to wait for a new semester, a new week, or a new you. Make every day count and realize the endless potential you have!

HC: We know that CHAARG is about “finding your fit,” but we have to ask…what is your favorite flavor from the Creamery?

NW: Death by Chocolate. (YUMMM please insert heart eyes emoji here).

HC: And what’s your favorite workout to do after you visit the Creamery?  

NW: I love lifting, especially leg day because this girl was not born with a booty so she’s gotta build one.

Her Campus Penn State loves to hear about strong collegiettes empowering those around them to be the best people they can be, and Nikki is no exception. We could all do with a little bit of her confidence and positivity in our lives, no matter if we are training for a marathon or simply trying to make it to our 8ams on time. Next time your hesitation stops you from doing something, take a leaf out of Nikki’s book, and don’t let fear of imperfection get in the way of achieving your dreams!

Meghan McNicholas is a sophomore at Penn State from Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. She is planning on majoring in International Politics, History and French along with a minor in Arabic. Her love for creative writing, obsession with Buzzfeed and passion for bad jokes inspired her to apply for Her Campus last fall. Aside from Her Campus, Meghan is  also involved with the Pennsylvania State International Affairs and Debate Association, Penn State Relay for Life,  and Schreyer Student Council. Outside of writing, her passions include traveling, instagram captions, and eating ice cream while watching trashy reality TV shows. When she's not busy running between classes, you'll most likely find her waiting for a smoothie at Webster's, stopping in the middle of the street to pet cute dogs or trying to inform random strangers about the importance of political activism. After college, Meghan hopes to work pursue a Masters Degree and a career in the American Foriegn Service.
Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope