christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Penn State Social Media Manager Bill Zimmerman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Have you ever wondered who the face is behind the screen of the Instagram account that posts the pictures of Old Main and beautiful Happy Valley sunsets? Or uploads daily feature stories about student groups to Facebook? Meet Penn State’s Social Media Manager Bill Zimmerman – the man behind all those things and so much more. As college students we think we don’t get enough sleep – but Bill, who oversees the production of the official Penn State Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, and Pinterest – must actually never sleep. 

HC: Can you briefly describe some of the main aspects of your job?

BZ: My office oversees the management of Penn State’s main social media accounts across multiple platforms. It’s me and two social media specialists responsible for creating lots of content and also working with communicators university wide – colleges, campuses, departments – to share their content. We’re also available as a resource to help offices build social media strategies. Plus, there’s also a bit of customer service involved. We’re frequently answering questions or directing people to where they can find more information on topics from Wi-Fi capabilities on campus to financial aid for international students. And there’s always monitoring – looking for questions that need addressed or any misinformation that requires our response.

HC: What part of your job do you find most rewarding?

BZ: The creativity, particularly taking photographs around our beautiful campus and this monthly Web series we’ve been doing called “This is Penn State“. I like the challenge of finding new ways to capture oft-photographed landmarks such as Old Main and the Lion Shrine and to uncover cool things going on at the university. If you can’t find an interesting story to tell here, you’re not looking hard enough. It helps working with really creative people who are in the know. I also really value the connections – both digital and in-person. It’s really sweet how much a like or retweet from a Penn State account can brighten someone’s day, and it’s nice to give a little social media love to those campuses, offices and student orgs that aren’t often in the spotlight. Offline, people seem to always be interested in discussing social media, whether they work with it or not. I have no shortage of material for conversations. 

HC: What part of your job do you find most challenging? 

BZ: Dealing with the constant flow of information. It doesn’t end. We could find relevant content to share, questions to answer and events to cover at all hours. Working in social media, you’re really reminded of the value in disconnecting. Too much can leave you drained mentally and physically. And new platforms are always emerging and existing platforms are frequently changing. Staying up on everything is nearly impossible. That said, it’s sort of freeing that everyone is trying to get a grasp on it all. There’s lots of trial and error. 

HC: What is some advice you would give to college students pursuing a career in the digital media/social media industry?

BZ: Learn to be economical with your words. Always look to trim the fat, to say the same thing with fewer words. I spent nine years as a newspaper reporter, so writing skills are crucial. And always be thinking about creating value. Every post should be offering something, whether it’s information on an event, recognition of an achievement or just a pretty photo. Students also need to realize that even with the explosive growth of the digital world, good social skills and manners are still crucial. Be a mingler, be quick with a smile, have good posture, show enthusiasm. Not only will you create opportunities – job possibilities, mentors – but those human connections will expand your pipeline of content. You’re going to get ideas, feedback, photos, videos all coming your way if you build a network.

HC: Where do you see the social media industry going in five years? 

BZ: So much can change in that amount time. We could be talking about a whole new set of platforms. I think it’s safe to say that we will see more visually appealing platforms, and the capabilities to consume more types and higher quality media within those platforms will increase. As social media becomes a bigger part of our lives, I also think people will be more mindful of the importance of stepping away from their phones and computers for a bit – that getting too much validation from likes and your follower count is a bad idea. My hope is that people develop healthier habits on social media and that it becomes more of a space for sparking knowledge, creating connections and building others up instead of tearing them down. 

HC: What’s your favorite social media platform to use and why? 

BZ: I love Instagram. There were days when touching up a photo took some Photoshop skills, now it’s so easy. I think it’s really opened up a lot of people to the joy of photography. That said, I realize it’s a young person’s game. I feel like I’m producing some good stuff, but it’s a bit of a bummer when you only have half of the followers as your little cousin. 

Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.