Panhellenic President: Paige Rothaus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Name: Paige Rothaus
Major: Advertising
Year: Senior
Hometown: Huntingdon Valley, Pa.

Paige Rothaus, this year’s Panhellenic president and Homecoming Queen, is a natural leader who believes in great things for the Penn State community.  A senior, majoring in advertising, Rothaus has an indescribable energy about her that she radiates on all those who she comes into contact with. Her passion for leadership and female power make her a true campus celebrity and an inspiration for Penn State females everywhere. We sat down with Paige to get a better understanding of her role on campus and her aspirations for the future.

HC: When did you become interested in being the Panhellenic President here at Penn State?
Paige: I have always had a strong interest in Greek life, specifically for my own sorority. But as I was ending my term as my sorority’s president, I realized I can take my passion and apply it on a greater scale. After speaking with the current PHC president at the time, I saw how enthusiastic and excited she was to be able to pass on such a great experience and she made me realize an opportunity that I just could not pass up. This was only a few weeks before elections, so it was definitely a whirlwind of excitement.

HC: For those outside of Greek Life, what is the National Panhellenic Conference?
Paige: For short, NPC is the organization that governs all college panhellenics and also supports and advocates for the 26 member groups it encompasses.

HC: As panhel president, what do your responsibilities include?
Paige: The day to day responsibilities includes tons of emails, a good bit of meetings and checking up on the projects or events being planned by our board. Other than that, a lot of what I do is build and strengthen relationships within the Greek community and across campus with other student organizations. Overall, I have to be the voice for all our Greek women and make sure I am being an advocate for what we believe in.

HC: Reflecting on your past year in office, what has been your favorite part of being president?
Paige: Being president of Panhellenic has been extremely rewarding. It is really hard to pinpoint a favorite part. I have truly loved everything and have gained so much. One awesome opportunity I had while serving as president was to meet President Obama when he visited PSU in early February. I will never forget that day.

HC: How do you think your leadership role on campus has prepared you for life after college?
Paige: I feel so prepared with whatever path I choose after college due to my leadership experience. Already having a few interviews for an internship last semester, I know I will have stellar answers for any behavior-based question thrown my way. I truly feel as though I have experienced many situations that would be likely to occur in a work setting and would be able to deal with them exceptionally. Not only that, but in this role I have been trained to network and build relationships which will undoubtedly help me land those interviews.  This role has taught me endless skills I could not have learned in the classroom. Being completely and experiencing all sorts of situations first hand

HC: Speaking of after college, what are your plans for the future? Any idea of a dream job?
Paige: My dream job would be to work in the creative communications side in the film or food industry, and doing basically what I do now. Leading a team, consulting with clients and continuing my passion to help others.

HC: Why do you think it is important to have a large population of female leaders on campus?
Paige: Women are strong, wonderful leaders. I have come across many during my time here at PSU and each one blows me away. I think it is important to keep striving and stay committed to causes we feel passionate about. There are also many women’s issues that are very prevalent on our campus and it is great when many female leaders can come together to support the cause and educate their peers.

HC: What are your hopes for the future of Panellenic at Penn State?
Paige: High hopes. I have been asked many times if I am sad to be passing down the torch. The answer is no because I have so much confidence in the future leaders of our community. Working with chapter presidents all year long and watching the way they lead their members, I know that there is new breed of sorority leaders and am confident that Panhellenic will continue to push forward and always reach our goals.

Elections for the new Panhellenic president will begin the week of Nov. 7. Rothaus is eager to see the Panhellenic community, as well as the Penn State community, to continue to be led on the journey toward unity and success.