Our Perspectives On THON 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Freshman Year: 

I remember being on campus for my first time exactly two years ago. I walked into my prospective student’s program and I already had a feeling that this was going to be the place that I called home very soon. During my presentation, we went over all of the basics, tuition, transcripts and test scores. Then we talked about the big T: THON. We watched a video where the 2015 Director described to us what THON represented and how it is the largest student run philanthropy in the world. I was in awe. 46 hours for pediatric cancer. I remember going home that night and viewing an hour long documentary about all the events surrounding THON. I remember watching students visit the Hershey Medical Center to play with the kids and see where all of the money that people generously dropped into those cans went. I knew that if I choose Penn State I could be a part of THON; I could be involved in something larger than myself.

So here it is, one week before my first THON. I’ve been waiting for this moment for two years, to the date. I have so many emotions; so many questions; so many expectations. I have no idea what this weekend will entail. I’ve heard every one of my friend’s and sorority sister’s experiences, but I know that I will make my own very soon. I know that I will probably laugh, cry and spend way too much money on food. The thought of dancing for 46 hours still amazes me. I don’t know how it can be done. I don’t know how my number of friends who are captains, committee members and dancing plan to do it. But, I can tell you that I’m more than ready to take it all in; to make my own memories; to watch my best friends dance for a cure and for the kids. -Brittany, Freshman 

Sophomore Year:

This year, when I walk into the BJC, it will remind me of the nerves and excitement I felt last year — having everything feel so new, like I had the world at my feet. Not knowing which dining hall would be open or what to wear while waiting in line or if I should sleep, shower or eat first when I got off shift. As a sophomore coming into THON I know what to expect, but I also know that every year is different. It is composed of a different line dance and different performances, but the same tears during the final four and the same hope for a cure. I know when I will laugh and when I will cry and at what time of the night my feet will begin throbbing. I am hopeful for new memories and improving my stamina and cherishing the short 46 hours that is all for the kids. Because after this one, it kills me to say that I’m halfway done attending the best weekend of the year. -Jacqueline, Sophomore

Junior Year: 

For most juniors, walking into the Bryce Jordan Center during THON weekend is like coming home again. What was once nerves from our first THON turned into excitement for our next, and our second THON only made us want to be at THON 2017 even more. By our third THON we can’t help but wonder where the past two years have gone, and by the second the dancers take to their feet, we’re already begging for time to slow down. This year, tons of familiar faces are standing for 46 hours and we definitely don’t care if we look ridiculous, or if we’re a bit too loud when we reunite with the THON child who stole our hearts or our favorite dancers. When the THON 2015 line dance comes on, we’ll scream and attempt to teach it to underclassmen but get too excited to really help in any way. We know we’re probably being water gunned down by the future president and tons of future Nittany Lions. We know exactly what kind of delivery we’ll be ordering once THON is over and we know exactly how to beat that middle of the night lag. We know nothing can really fill the post-THON void — but the fact that we still have one more THON left as students helps it hurt a lot less. -Allie, Junior 

Senior Year: 

Four years ago, I got in line at 5:30 a.m. Myself, along with the other girls in my pledge class as well as fall & spring 13 of Acacia sat in line confused to what we were doing. I didn’t realize that in just a couple of hours, I was going to find the one thing at Penn State that would change my life forever. After sitting in line for what I felt like was forever, the anticipation was finally getting to me. I started to question what was beyond those walls of the BJC, why all these people were willing to sit in the sleet and the snow to go into a building and dance for 46 hours. I truly had no idea. 

Walking into THON for the first time was the most magical experience of my entire life. After *slowly* running to our section, I looked around to see a sea of different colors, different people, people I hadn’t ever met before, all there, for the same reason. My sophomore and junior year were filled with yellow as I joined the Dancer Relations Committee. My two families, the Jolling Stones and Happily Heather After, welcomed me with open arms and excited smiles as we took on the floor to “be there for the dancers, so they could be there for the kids.”

Now that it is senior year, my world is now filled with maroon. Special Events is the committee I was chosen to be on this year, and I could not be happier. The Chevrologans have allowed me to see THON from a different perspective, solely behind the scenes. In 2 days I will not only enter the BJC as a Special Events Committee Member, I will also enter it as a Dancer and a senior. My last THON as a student will be the best one yet. I will enter it having seen the last three line dances, the last three pep rallies, the last three family hours. I will enter the BJC excited to learn the last line dance, the last pep rally and the last family hour I will see as a student. 

Where this THON is my last, I have never been more excited to walk into the BJC and take on my Senior Year THON. -Meg, Senior 

Captain:

One of the reasons I decided to attend to Penn State was because of the fabulous things I heard about THON. I really didn’t understand the details of THON, but my friends who had graduated from high school before me and attended Penn State simply couldn’t stop talking about it. My friend Jimmy insisted that it was the greatest and that I would fall in love. I applied for a “Morale” committee, again, not really knowing what I was getting into. All I knew was that yellow was my favorite color, so I would probably end up pretty happy if things worked out. I can’t tell you how grateful I am that they did.

It is hard to believe that I am sitting here as a senior, about to embark on my last THON Weekend as a student. The immense impact of this organization is something that has inspired me and countless others to no end. What I really didn’t see coming, though, was how much the people I have met through THON have affected me.

My freshman year Morale committee (I know it’s Dancer Relations now but it was Morale way back then!) still keeps in touch all the time. We love Beyonce. I was brought to tears my sophomore year during THON Weekend after seeing the passion of the Penn State Harrisburg dancers who I had been paired with. My dancer from sophomore year, Amber, is engaged now, and I couldn’t be happier for her – no one deserves a lifetime of happiness more. Last year, I got a special behind the scenes look at THON by serving as a Supply Logistics captain, and I was awestruck by the work ethic and focus of my co-captains. This year everything came full circle – I had the privilege to serve as a Donor and Alumni Relations captain (ONEDAR!), and my director is the Rick Melli, who was on my freshman year committee.

What makes THON so unique is the sense of community that results from it. The fact that my captain committee is so close serves as a main motivator for me. These sixteen individuals who I get to spend a majority of my time with have taught me a multitude of lessons. They are there when I need someone to talk to. They are empathetic and open-minded. They are hilarious. Their ideas blow my mind. Amidst the chaos of college and planning for the future, being able to find people like this has made me feel like I hit the lottery.

This year, the theme of THON is “Igniting Hope Within,” and a firefly serves as the annual logo. After four years here, I am going to be able to leave college knowing that there truly are good people in the world. Thank you to all the little fireflies I’ve met through THON who have lit up my life and who I know are going to continue to do incredible things. -Nicole, Senior

Committee Member:

Being on a THON committee gives you a completely different look on THON. There are over 11 committees with over 2,500 total committee members. Every committee has about 30 people; think of that as your new family for the next five months.

Throughout my THON career I have been on three different committees. I was on Communications my sophomore year, Dancer Relations my junior year and Special Events my senior year. Each of those committees was completely different than the other. The Communications committee was my first committee, I had no idea what to expect. Throughout the year, we were responsible for promoting different blood drives and other events, while at THON we were in information booths around the BJC and provided spectators with answers to ANY questions they had. Last year, on Dancer Relations, my job was very simple–”be there for the dancers, so the dancers can be there for the kids.” I was paired with a dancer and made sure he was okay and motivated during the weekend. My dancer was the BEST guy I have ever met and the ultimate THON dancer. Never complained of being in pain or tired and always had a huge smile on his face. This year, senior year, I am on a Special Events committee. This let me see THON in a very new way. For SE, we did a lot of the behind the scenes crafts and such for the events leading up to THON. Such as the 5k, 100 Days til THON and Family Carnival. We are not as involved in THON as other committees. This year we are responsible for parking, concessions and a couple of SE committees run the THON history tour for dancers. That might seem super confusing, but every committee is a different lead for tons of opportunities for students looking to get involved outside of their organization.

Like I said before, a THON committee is instantly 30 new best friends. With weekly meetings, hanging out practically every weekend and sharing ridiculous inside jokes, you bond so quickly. Especially during ice breakers every meeting. Committees can become your favorite part about THON. You become so close, because everyone is so passionate about THON’s mission. I know the last three years would not have been the same without the friendships I made on my committees.

I know some people aren’t for THON committees, but it is something that changed my college career for the better. I have met some of the most loving, compassionate and selfless people. THON committees are an exceptional way to get involved in THON, not just for THON weekend but the entire year. It gives you life-long friendships and the opportunity to help THON weekend run smoothly and continue its reign as the largest student run philanthropy in the world. -Briana, Senior

Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.