This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Name: Tim Burke

Major: Nutrition

Year:  Senior (with one semester left)

Relationship Status: Sorry girls, I’m taken

Hometown: Elysburg, Pa

HC: Facebook or Twitter?

TB: Both! Follow me @bimturkenstein

HC: Blondes or brunettes?

TB: I’m honestly more of a personality before looks kind of guy but if it was completely necessary for me to decide then I’d go with my brunettes. Sorry blondes. And sorry red heads (can’t leave them out of the picture).

HC: Who inspires you?

TB: My Pappy. My grandfather is probably one of the most joyful people that I’ve ever met. He’s been through it all and still has such an optimistic outlook on life which greatly inspires me to be a better person.

HC: So I know you’re all about music. Got a favorite album?

TB: Damn, that’s a really tough question haha! I have such an affinity towards all styles of music that it would be impossible for me to label one album as my favorite. For example, if I’m in the gym I’m listening to music that scares me in order to motivate myself. If I’m walking around campus I’ll be listening to happy, chill music. I can also be found blasting Taylor Swift with my windows down at a stop light singing to the car next to me. The possibilities are endless. In the grand scheme of things, there is something to appreciate in all styles of music. 

HC: What sets you apart from everyone else?

TB: Hmmm. I’m not really sure how to answer this. It may be my peculiar personality that sets me apart the most. People seem to either welcome my extroverted personality with open arms or want to throw me directly in a psych ward. I’m generally outgoing and try to be as optimistic as possible because I believe it’s within your own actions that you can either brighten up someone else’s day or ruin it. To wrap this up, I don’t think there is much about me that makes me any better or sets me apart from anyone else.   

HC: If you could deliver a message to a large group of people, what would it be?

TB: I would probably remind everyone of how powerful of a tool kindness can be. It’s the small acts of kindness that builds character and keeps our world in unity. Everyone that you’ll ever meet is fighting their own battles and I feel it is incredibly important to stay pleasant and courteous to everyone because, without talking to them, you have no idea what level of adversity they have faced throughout the years.

HC: Would you mind sharing some great advice that’s stuck with you over the years?

TB: Well I’m all about becoming the strongest person you can be. And the advice I’ve used to make me who I am today, which can be used in any circumstance, i.e. the gym, classes, relationships and so on, would be this: When you feel like giving up and you feel like you used every ounce of effort you had left, give a little more. I guarantee you that if you use this advice when you face any type of hardship or difficulty, you will get through it and you will come out a stronger person than you were before. 

HC: Name three things you look for in a crush.

TB: Well what I’m attracted to most in a girl lies within her personality. So the first thing I’d say I look for in a girl is if she’s diligent and hardworking. There’s nothing sexier than that. The second thing I look for is if she has a good sense of humor. It’s a huge deal if she can understand my humor and I can understand hers. My third favorite part of a girl’s personality is if she’s kind. I find it incredibly gratifying if she can display common courtesy and a certain level of friendliness towards everyone

Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.