A Letter to My Niece

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As I look down at your smiling face, it’s hard to imagine that someone so small and sweet won’t be this tiny forever. It’s hard to imagine you as anything but the nine-month-old little gem who is mesmerized by cell phones and laughs even when she has pink eye and an ear infection. I know that all too soon we’ll be celebrating your first birthday, and one day you’ll move up to the big girl schools and graduate kindergarten, but for now, you’re here and you’re so small yet so untarnished by the world. I would do anything if I could to keep you this way.

While you’re still so small, there are some things I hope your parents and your other aunts will also work to instill in you for years to come. For starters, I want you to know that you are so unbelievably lucky to have been born into a family that will love you unconditionally. Your grandparents always made sure that your mom and her sisters knew that even if they got in trouble at school, or they crashed a car, that they would still love you through it and be there for you when the times get rough. I know without a doubt, your mom and dad will do the same. They already love you more than you could ever know, and you will learn that not everyone’s that lucky.

Even if your mom embarrasses you, or your dad interrogates your future first date, remember that they’re doing this out of love. They’ll be your friend when you need it, but your parent every second of the day.

One of the most important things I can tell you as your aunt is that you are already so much smarter than you know. People will always stress how pretty a girl is, or how nice they perform at their ballet recital, but they do not stress enough just how important it is for a girl to be smart. Don’t let boys or even friends get in the way of you bettering your mind and yourself. You are already one of the most beautiful girls I know, and I have no doubt that you’ll continue to grow more beautiful with each day, but one of the most important things we can tell you is to always value your own intelligence. Be accepting of others and eager to learn about what makes us different from one another. Never work to bring others down; only work to lift them up. Some people rely solely on their looks to get ahead, and while there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, I want you to know that there is also nothing wrong with relying on your brain to get ahead in life. You can be smart, and beautiful at the same time. Use your brilliance to build an empire, and use your beauty to empower not only yourself but others as well. You don’t need the most high-end things in order to get ahead in life. No matter what a person looks like or what they wear, their personality has the ability to shine through. All you need is the intelligence, the determination, and the respect and courtesy for others in order to be the greatest version of yourself.

As you get older, I hope you learn just how important it is to embrace your flaws. Even though, if you ask any of your family, you’re the most perfect thing to walk this Earth, you will certainly find some things you might not like about yourself. Please don’t pick yourself apart because of these little gifts, just like I did as a teenager. You’ll find it so much easier to give into the negative words of others than to rise above those words and acknowledge that you are so much more these comments. Take this opportunity to get in touch with yourself and find what makes you special instead of inferior.

Whether I want you to or not, you’ll have your first heartbreak eventually. Whether this be by a significant other, someone you never actually dated, or even a close friend, it’s almost inevitable that you will experience this feeling at least once in your life. While I wish I could shield you from this in every way, shape and form, I want you to know that I am always here. You don’t have to go through anything alone, ever. Some people will leave, and some people will come back. If they don’t come back, it will hurt but you will survive. You’ll smile and you’ll cry and you’ll live to see another day. If someone works to pick at your every insecurity, please remember that they are doing this to shield insecurities of their own. While it’s awful to go through, you are strong enough to overcome anything and will have us with you every step of the way.

I know you’re only now learning to crawl, and that you hopefully won’t face any of these things ever (or at least until you’re maybe 40), but no matter your age, I want you to know that you are so unbelievably intelligent and beautiful and strong and able to conquer any task in the world. Don’t let the darkness in other people take over your brilliant light. I know you’re meant for great things, and I can’t wait to be there as you grow.

Photo credit: 1

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.