Janie Cassady: Pretty to Think So

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Name: Janie Cassady

Year: Senior

Major: Public Relations with minors in Theatre, Anthropology, and Digital Media Trends and Analytics

Facebook: Pretty to Think So

Instagram: @prettytothinksoblog

YouTube: Pretty to Think So

Photos by Kat Procyk 

This Penn Stater is spreading positivity across campus and the globe through her blog, “Pretty to Think So.” Check out our interview with Janie Cassady below!

HC: What’s the name of your blog? Where did you get the inspiration for the name?

JC: The name of my blog is Pretty to Think So. One of my favorite books is The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. The last line of the book is, “Isn’t it pretty to think so?” That’s where I got the name.

HC: Why did you decide to start a blog in the first place?

JC: I’ve always loved writing. In high school, I got really into reading blogs and watching bloggers on YouTube, and I thought, “I want to try to do that.” I love the creative challenge of figuring out new ways to edit videos and coming up with content ideas.

HC: What kind of content do you produce?

JC: On my YouTube channel I do hauls, makeup tutorials, product reviews, and things like that. But I don’t limit my content to just beauty. I’m also working on a Disney review series. I’m watching every single Disney animated movie in order and reviewing them. On my blog, I write about everything from my top ten favorite Netflix shows at the moment to my experience in a long distance relationship. My content isn’t too streamlined, and I like it that way.

HC: What do you hope your following will take away from “Pretty to Think So”?

JC: My favorite bloggers always make me feel inspired. One of the qualities I admire most in other people is when they have the ability to inspire confidence in others. If reading my blog or watching my videos could do that for someone, that would be amazing.

HC: So far, what is your favorite experience or project you’ve blogged?  

JC: I got a lot of positive feedback on a post I wrote about what it’s like to transition from high school to college. I think a lot of people could relate to it, which was cool. I’m also really enjoying working on my Disney review series.

HC: When you look back on your blog in a few years time, what do you hope to see?

JC: I hope I become a stronger writer, become more skilled at video editing, and produce even better and more creative content. I do feel like I’ve come a long way since I first started my blog and my channel, but I definitely still have so much to learn.

HC: What is your ultimate goal with “Pretty to Think So”?

JC: If my content could bring other people some kind of joy or happiness, that would be my ultimate goal. My mom always tells me that every time you interact with someone, you can leave them feeling better or worse. If my content could help spread some positive energy and then people could put that back out there into the world, that would be a really beautiful thing.

HC: Do you have any advice to those who might want to start a blog?

JC: Do it! You have a voice. You have a totally unique perspective that only you can share. If you want to start a blog, don’t let fear or anything like that hold you back. Also, don’t overthink it. You’ll learn as you go.

Kat Procyk is a Penn State senior studying multimedia journalism. She loves dogs, cameras, w(h)ine and experiencing life. She hopes to either continue with journalism or go into the film industry.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.