I Didn’t Wear Makeup for a Week and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It all began on Sunday morning. I rolled out of bed wearing last night’s makeup (clumps of eyeliner and mascara freckled my face in the worst way possible), and I quickly remembered that this was the week of my makeup challenge. So, at 11:07 a.m., after a tedious makeup removal sesh, it began.

After jumping in the shower to cleanse myself from the previous night, I felt like a new person. My skin felt refreshed, cleansed, and full of pimples – yes, despite my power wash, my skin had broken out from the makeup left on overnight. As I sat at my desk in front of my makeup bag and mirror, I had to do everything I could to resist a dab of concealer.

I must say – day two was much easier than expected. I was still breaking out from leaving my makeup on overnight, but it was a Monday and my appearance was the least of my concerns. I had a 9 a.m. class and felt no need to impress anyone in a lecture of 500 people. Although I was slightly tempted to reach for the eyebrow powder and concealer, I told myself that nobody would be looking at me that closely.

Tuesday was a bit of a challenge. I had a noon class, and this meant I had a lot of time to get ready. My skin had finally cleared up so I didn’t feel there was need for concealer, but. I still thought I looked a little dull. So, I grabbed my huge prescription glasses that everyone thinks are fake and went on my way. The little bit of coverage from the glasses felt as good as makeup to me at that point. I was back in my room for the rest of the night working on piles of homework, so I luckily didn’t have to see anyone.

Wednesday was another early morning. On the days when I had class at 9 a.m., I had no time to beautify myself. There was no time for primer, concealer, foundation, or setting spray (which is my skin routine that I religiously follow.) But on Wednesday, I didn’t really care. My skin looked great, and nobody had noticed that I wasn’t wearing makeup all week so I was feeling pretty good. However, I had on the perfect fall outfit (jeans, a big sweater, and a plaid scarf), yet I didn’t feel it was complete with a bare face.

“Thirsty Thursday” at Penn State didn’t stop me from sticking to my challenge. I knew I couldn’t wear makeup, so I decided to stay in for the night and enjoy some “healthy” ice cream in bed. I made it this far in my personal challenge, and I couldn’t stop then. I became really bored after about 20 minutes into the movie I was watching since I spent most of the time watching my friends Snapchats from parties, and I began to contemplate my decision; I definitely hit a low point that night.

Friday night was the night I was thinking about all week. I asked myself if I really wanted to go out with no makeup on. Going to class wasn’t too bad for me; I didn’t mind bringing my bare face to class knowing most of the other people around me had just rolled out of bed, too. However, on a Friday night, when girls spend hours in front of their mirrors painting their faces to perfection – I knew I’d feel a little insecure. I tried to brush it off and enjoy getting ready with my friends, and I really did! I put on a cute outfit, did my hair, and let my face free. I know it didn’t look like a completed look, but this was the first day I truly felt great.

On Saturday morning, I woke up surrounded by all my friends. They still had all their makeup on from the night before, and I felt amazing with my bare face. My skin had no blemishes, and I felt okay with no makeup. I had no regrets about going out with nothing on my face the night before. On the last day of my challenge, I felt so satisfied.

After doing this challenge, I realized a lot of things. First, there’s no need to feel like you need makeup. No pimple, blemish or red spot needs to be covered on your face. Secondly, I came to realize makeup should not be worn as a mask. I restrained from doing certain things, wearing certain things, and talking to certain people when I didn’t wear makeup.

I came to the conclusion that this challenge boosted my confidence. Last year, I would have never thought of going to class or out on a Friday night with no makeup on. Although I probably won’t do this challenge again (just because I love makeup), I know I don’t need it.

So, I challenge you to do what I did – bare your beautiful skin, and see what it does for you.

Header image: Bella Hadid / Instagram

Jenna Silverblatt is a sophomore at Penn State. She is majoring in public relations with a minor in political science. She loves hanging out with her friends, listening to music, and taking lots pictures of her cat. She can usually be spotted with an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts in her hand. 
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.