I Chose Not to Have a College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I got my horse, Secret, over five years ago and everything changed. I always liked riding, but I never really had an interest in continuing it after graduating high school. I struggled with depression, anxiety and self-harming, and the horses helped – but I thought going far away from home would be the best decision to make. I always dreamed of going to school as far as the other side of the country.

I understand the negative connotation behind “girls obsessed with horses.” However, I think my story is a little bit different. It’s not horses I love – it’s my horse I love. He saved me, and I owe him that.

When I was at my worst and was contemplating suicide, he was near the brink of death because of an injury sustained at the racetrack. I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital to become me again. I remember being isolated in the cold, white walls and realizing how lucky I was to be able to come home to a family that loved me. I also couldn’t help but think how that lanky, broken-down horse needed me. How could I take care of him if I couldn’t take care of myself?

To keep a long story short, we both became healthier together. I had many late Friday nights in the community college’s computer lab so I could spend all weekend with him – a tradition that continued throughout college despite a two-hour driving distance. In those months, my anxiety attacks started to diminish, my confidence started to rebuild, and I learned to live again while cantering through the mountains of western Pennsylvania. I watched him become stronger – a character and my best friend – which was better therapy than,antidepressants, anxiety medication and an hour in the psychologist’s office. I never imagined letting anyone – let alone an animal – to see me at my most vulnerable. Even though I was getting stronger, there were still late nights in his stall that I would break down because those thoughts of not being good enough.

After a summer of doing really well at competitions, I knew I couldn’t leave him behind, but I also knew I needed to go to college. I made the decision to skip the partying, the boys and just a wild ride in general, to be with him. I’ve gone home more times than I’ve stayed on campus. I love my friends, but I’m afraid if I get too wrapped up in school, I might start to fall apart again and that’s the honest truth. It’s happened before. I’m an all-around better person when he’s in my life. I maintain a 3.7 GPA, I’m less irritable, more task-oriented and generally happier.

Yes, there are days I regret it. As a matter of fact, it always hurts. I never made those lifelong friendships that I always wanted in college, but part of me is okay with that, because I know my best friend is waiting for me when I pull in the driveway.

Kat Procyk is a Penn State senior studying multimedia journalism. She loves dogs, cameras, w(h)ine and experiencing life. She hopes to either continue with journalism or go into the film industry.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.