kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Overcome Summer FOMO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With summer in full force, many college students are experiencing some serious FOMO (fear of missing out). Maybe your best friend has a killer internship in NYC, and you’re still working the same summer job you’ve had since junior year of high school. Or, maybe they’re backpacking across Europe when the farthest you’ve made it to is the community pool. Regardless of what your friends are doing, make the most of your opportunities! You can’t waste your time dwelling on what you wish you were doing, or you’ll miss out on what’s right in front of you!

With social media it’s becoming easier to see what other people are doing – thus becoming super jealous as a result. It’s important to remember that no one is going to post the boring things they do, so obviously it’ll seem like they’re having a way more fabulous time than you. This is not (or doesn’t have to be) true. Your friend with the amazing internship could easily be spending seven hours a day filing away papers and running for coffee. That photo she took of the skyline is not the view from her corner-office. Obviously, the sights in Europe are amazing. But how does your friend feel about the lack of AC in her hostel or the fact that very few restaurants will accommodate her lactose-intolerance?

Just because it feels like things are perfect for everyone else doesn’t mean things can’t be great for you, too. Being home for summer means you have more time with the people you care about. Also, you know the area well, so you can easily find the coolest things to do and may actually have some time to relax. If posting envy-worthy Instagrams is a priority for you, you can make that happen wherever you are. It may just take a little more effort. If you want to have the most amount of fun possible, who better to do it with than your home friends? If you need ideas, you can always search for your town’s attractions and try something new. If you’re looking to boost your resume but didn’t manage to get that internship, try studying on your own and strengthening your skills during your free time so you can land one next summer.

Rather than focusing on others, take the time to focus on yourself. Pick up a hobby, catch up on Netflix or see how many miles you can run. And hey, if you really want to kill the Instagram game, you can always work on your photography skills. There are so many possibilities, and I promise each one will feel better than constantly thinking about what so-and-so is up to. Worrying about missing out on things means you might miss the chance to experience your own awesomeness. So, put down your phone, and have a fantastic summer.

Lindsay Miller is a senior at Penn State, majoring in Media Studies. She enjoys spending her time sleeping, eating, and watching Netflix, usually with her kitten, Kiwi, lying in the most inconvenient spot possible.  She also enjoys reading and writing until she gets frustrated and erases everything. If you want to get in her good graces, bring her a milkshake.     
Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope