How to Help Victims of Hurricane Harvey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

When Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas last week, no one imagined the conditions would be as catastrophic as they have been. The Category 4 hurricane is the most powerful storm to hit Texas in more than 50 years and is expected to drop more than 50 inches of rain along it’s path – only adding to the already devastating floods across the state. With three currently reported deaths, authorities expect the toll to rise. Damages are expected to fall somewhere in the billions – and the victims will need help to get back on their feet.  Here’s what you can do to help those impacted by the Hurricane:

1. Donate to the Houston Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund

Houston Mayor, Sylvester Turner, created the fund to accept donations for victims of Hurricane Harvey and to rebuild Houston.

2. Donate to the Humane Society’s Disaster Relief Fund

The HSUS’ animal rescue team is currently on the ground in Texas, rescuing pets from the floods and moving them to safe spaces to wade out the storm.

3. Houston Food Bank

The food bank’s building has been closed due to flooding, but will provide disaster relief for victims.  

4. Donate to the Red Cross

Text HARVEY to 90999 to give $10

To donate blood, visit the Red Cross’ website to find the closest donation center to you. Penn State and the State College are have blood drives occurring over the course of this week.

5. If any loved ones are in the impacted area, encourage them to call these numbers and hang a towel or sheet from their home to assist authorities in finding them:

Austin Disaster Relief Network : 512-806-0800

United Way Helpline: Dial 211 for shelter information

Every penny helps make a difference in the life of victims.

Cover credit: U.S. Department of Defense

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.